Map Zoning Explained In Plain English

Orion's***Belt
Forums Elite

Re: Map Zoning Explained In Plain English

Post by Orion's***Belt »

Kevster,
Is there a way to arrange a time and day to get together with you to begin this training?

Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays are NOT good for me.

I have the editor (new one) and have looked at it using one of the smaller standard maps I am familiar with, and it's all scary and Martian language to me. So, some help would be great.
=(V)=Kevster
Pilot First Class - Contributor

Post by =(V)=Kevster »

Duke wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:16 pm Kevster,
Is there a way to arrange a time and day to get together with you to begin this training?

Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays are NOT good for me.

I have the editor (new one) and have looked at it using one of the smaller standard maps I am familiar with, and it's all scary and Martian language to me. So, some help would be great.
Hi Duke

Well between making multiple UT videos for Candy, helping Venom with his map and work obligations, I'm having a hard time keeping up, but maybe this weekend? Thing is, I don't use discord. I did a long time ago, but not really anymore. I mention this because you don't seem to be able to use team viewer for some reason, but instead want to use Discord. I'll have to check into the capabilities of the new version of Discord first. I'll get back to you.
=(V)=CandyMan
Forums Master

Post by =(V)=CandyMan »

Don't worry, the UT video making will be on a hiatus after this, lol.
Co-Leader of the Vulpine Mission branch(es) in War Thunder and Call of Duty.
My tags are: =VM19=Coty2255 and |VM|TH3 J0K3R

More games and divisions are coming soon...

Orion's***Belt
Forums Elite

Post by Orion's***Belt »

1) Discord has screen sharing. Have used it with my son. Can make sub-rooms for discussions like this, or just start a chat between us.

2) Working with your nephew, Bad Co, I had some experience editing a few old maps which needed flak guns replaced by RX's. That was a fun way to actually see the editor in action. It now has me excited about doing a CTF map, and it would involve the ZONE concept that you presented!

My idea is to have to zones, each with it's own gravity. Red Team pulling in an opposite direction from the Blue Team. Two platforms, with flags separated, and flags on opposite sides. So, when Red Team goes up into Blue gravity, their world is upside down. Might make for some disorienting flying, and nausea. Great fun if I could pull that off.

So, two zones, per your write up, and separate gravity for each. And, the gravity needs to be powerful, so falling through gravity layer would be devastating. Something that you think might be possible?
=(V)=Kevster

Post by =(V)=Kevster »

Orion's***Belt wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:24 pm 1) Discord has screen sharing. Have used it with my son. Can make sub-rooms for discussions like this, or just start a chat between us.

2) Working with your nephew, Bad Co, I had some experience editing a few old maps which needed flak guns replaced by RX's. That was a fun way to actually see the editor in action. It now has me excited about doing a CTF map, and it would involve the ZONE concept that you presented!

My idea is to have to zones, each with it's own gravity. Red Team pulling in an opposite direction from the Blue Team. Two platforms, with flags separated, and flags on opposite sides. So, when Red Team goes up into Blue gravity, their world is upside down. Might make for some disorienting flying, and nausea. Great fun if I could pull that off.

So, two zones, per your write up, and separate gravity for each. And, the gravity needs to be powerful, so falling through gravity layer would be devastating. Something that you think might be possible?
Yea, you can do all sorts of crazy things with zones. It's only limited by your imagination. I only really use zones to help make the maps run more efficiently and more smoothly. The use of zones, creates partitions which you can't see, but the unreal engine can. The use of zones, depends chiefly on the size of the map. Zones aren't of much help with a really large map, and could actually cause issues when used in large maps.

They're best for medium size maps, unless you have a smaller map with a ton of rooms and different areas, in which case, I'd use them to control the efficiency of the unreal engine.

One of the best mapping tute areas is on youtube. My nephew BadCo is going to provide this info to you, but I'll also list it here, in case someone else has an interest. Go to youtube and do a search on "Smeer Kat." Type his name with the space in between and you'll find him. Guy has a ton of really helpful videos, including those on zones.

:thumbup
Orion's***Belt
Forums Elite

Post by Orion's***Belt »

Yeah, Smeer Kat was the one I subscribed to, and following along on his basic tutorials.

So specifically address my question, Kev...........

If I made a moderately sized CUBE to start with. Give that ZONE a heavy gravity. Near the top of the zone, place a platform with CTF flag under it.

The, make another zone, but upside down, and add same features.... And, then move the two zones tightly together so that the bottoms of the platforms touch. The opposing team flags will be on opposite sides of the "platform". Won;t be so easy to just fly around and around and around the platforms

Will that work to create a map where RX drivers, once the punch through the zone layer (gfor each team it would be the top layer of the zone), will instantly go upside down, and somewhat out of control, as the gravity switches on them? If my basic idea is sound, I'll give that a go.

If not, ideas as to how to make my topsy turvy idea better? I also have an idea for creating a huge earth globe, with normal North Pole and South Pole, and normal gravity. However, every now and them, the gravity of the planet will switch (just like the real one is getting ready to do as the core shifts. ) Maybe activate that by placing a moon as a target, and when shot at, the poles shift.

I've been listening to old Art Bell podcasts. Lots of crazy ideas rolling around in my feeble brain. LOL
=(V)=Kevster

Post by =(V)=Kevster »

Orion's***Belt wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:40 am Yeah, Smeer Kat was the one I subscribed to, and following along on his basic tutorials.

So specifically address my question, Kev...........

If I made a moderately sized CUBE to start with. Give that ZONE a heavy gravity. Near the top of the zone, place a platform with CTF flag under it.

The, make another zone, but upside down, and add same features.... And, then move the two zones tightly together so that the bottoms of the platforms touch. The opposing team flags will be on opposite sides of the "platform". Won;t be so easy to just fly around and around and around the platforms

Will that work to create a map where RX drivers, once the punch through the zone layer (gfor each team it would be the top layer of the zone), will instantly go upside down, and somewhat out of control, as the gravity switches on them? If my basic idea is sound, I'll give that a go.

If not, ideas as to how to make my topsy turvy idea better? I also have an idea for creating a huge earth globe, with normal North Pole and South Pole, and normal gravity. However, every now and them, the gravity of the planet will switch (just like the real one is getting ready to do as the core shifts. ) Maybe activate that by placing a moon as a target, and when shot at, the poles shift.

I've been listening to old Art Bell podcasts. Lots of crazy ideas rolling around in my feeble brain. LOL
It sounds like it could work. However, the only way to really tell is by creating and experimenting with it. Trial and error. That's what I do, if I'm not sure about a certain feature or function. I mean, in the past when I was heavy into map making, I would just sit and experiment, sometimes for days, trying to figure out how to make an idea work that was in my head at the time. Crazy.

It's best to just create it, then if it's not working as expected, you could maybe send me a copy of it, so that I could look at it. With me? Everything is actually seeing and working with it.
Orion's***Belt
Forums Elite

Post by Orion's***Belt »

Gotcha. Just read up, btw, that the newest Unreal editor (4.15) is the version that I got is FREE, and has a lot of up to date features. Will Do UT99 maps, and all the newest version of UnrealTournament.

If I'm gonna jump into mapping, might as well use the newest GUI version of the editor to make it simpler.
Orion's***Belt
Forums Elite

Post by Orion's***Belt »

I turned over the two zone reversed gravity project to your nephew, BadCo.
He's looking for original design projects to work on.
Bad~Co.
Forums Participant

Post by Bad~Co. »

VERY NICE!!!! I always tried to zone a map and it never worked. I was using the same exact methods BUT I wasn't using "add Special Brush". Was just using a non-solid sheet.
Gonna give this a go. Muchas gracia's tio!
Bad~Co.
Forums Participant

Post by Bad~Co. »

Tried and true, works like a charm! Just remember if you make glass texture it cant touch anything to do it right, and you have to fill the entire window hole if youre closing a zone with a window :)

Return to “Mapping”