CTF4 in a maze

evilgrins
Forums Master

CTF4 in a maze

Post by evilgrins »

This is an edit of the CTF4 seen here · https://unrealarchive.org/search/index.html?q=Montwe

The standard CTF of this map I've never played. Not yet, anyway.

What we have here is a maze, set in a cross-like pattern. There's some visual issues if you try and peek over the walls to see into the bases off to the immediate right & left, but otherwise there's no other visual issues. They're not exactly HOMs or BSP, not sure what to call that exactly.

Bots handle the map great, UTDMT are mostly stuck to their flag bases as the maze wasn't really designed for player that're that wide.

Titans are using my team colored tint-edits of a skin I believe THUNDERBOLT made. I originally got it, with his permission, from one of his MonsterHunt maps.

Usual Suspects:
.u - /system
.unr - /maps
.utx - /textures

Enjoy!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/wkjhb5exa ... Morita.zip
Orion's***Belt
Forums Elite

Re: CTF4 in a maze

Post by Orion's***Belt »

Nice!!!

I've asked for CTF4 maps on our =VM= server, but RJ indicates that we would have some kind of technical issue running them.

CTF4 maps are great when the server gets really full.......... One thing I forget (been so very long since I played a CTF4 server)... Does a player have to collect up all THREE of the other colors to cap? Or, can you just pick on one flag color and keep capping that one??

Guess I'll Google that one....

Thanks for reading my mind. CTF4, just what we need!!!

UPDATE: I found this video....... Somehow that guy was able to use translocator and not drop the flag. But, it was obvious that you needed all three other flags..... That would make for a CRAZY game...... Lots of back and forth!
Here's the video I found

Not sure if this works:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0TKlqZMo5Ck" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
evilgrins
Forums Master

Post by evilgrins »

It would depend on which type of CTF4 you were playing.

MultiTeamCTF or CTF4, they use the same kind of maps but there methods of team play vary a bit.
Orion's***Belt wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:45 pmCTF4 maps are great when the server gets really full.......... One thing I forget (been so very long since I played a CTF4 server)... Does a player have to collect up all THREE of the other colors to cap? Or, can you just pick on one flag color and keep capping that one??
CTF4 has an option where your team can only take a flag from the team specified. It's not the main way, where you can take from any team you choose, but it's one of a number of variations.

Here:
https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/tag/ctf4
Orion's***Belt
Forums Elite

Post by Orion's***Belt »

Thanks for the link you provided.

BTW, I used to be a member of the UrS (Unreal Riders) group, where SpongeBob still maintains a Grappling Hook//Insta server. I started posting there again (after more than 10 years of being away from there), and I see that you are an active poster there. I have to admire your promotion of the maps that you make, a well earned endeavor. Just wanted to wave Hello in your direction. My time at UrS was all playing the old school Strangelove.

I posted am image of me, from the Prez Reagan years, there, at the UrS site. I'm trying to figure out how to add a wall poster (with that image, and the Dr Strangelove on the opposing wall) in a map that I am currently working on.
evilgrins
Forums Master

Post by evilgrins »

Orion's***Belt wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:43 amI have to admire your promotion of the maps that you make
To be fair, I'm not making the maps. I'm editing maps that other people made.
Orion's***Belt
Forums Elite

Post by Orion's***Belt »

That's also what I have been working on......

I am working on one with as many "tricks" as I can fit in the map...... It will be awesome....

Like, putting InstantDeath inside flames in the map. I have added some rooms to give me places to teleport to. And, wanna add JumpPads so powerful that they spring you instantly into the ceiling.... squash! I love maps with that stuff....
=(V)=BloodyRabbit
Co-Leader

Post by =(V)=BloodyRabbit »

Venom, whereever he is, knows map making pretty well. Also kevster knows how to make images in UT. He did it for one of his maps a couple years ago when he added VM members to it.
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:16 am WTF I shot this twat-a-potamus and he didn't die!
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:01 am wtf lag is that!
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:31 am I cant believe i have to waste my time on this
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:44 pm During the Cold War, the U.S. considered airdropping enormous condoms labeled "Medium" on the Soviets
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:36 am A free picture of DEEZ NUTZ
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:12 pm bahaha this is great news
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:33 pm how about we mute the entire server then all you can do is play or rage quit.
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:02 am FML im old and chics don't check me out anymore
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 pm BloodyRabbit is the sexiest man alive!! (Rubs nipples)

Oh RJ, the things you say. This is worth the super long sig :laugh :vmrocks

=(V)=BloodyRabbit
Co-Leader

Check these two links

https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13 ... fd6616a76e

https://ut99.org/viewforum.php?f=6

I need to contact ut-files.com there site is broken but I swear they had tutorials listed there. So many files inaccessible.

https://news.ut-files.com/redirect/
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:16 am WTF I shot this twat-a-potamus and he didn't die!
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:31 am I cant believe i have to waste my time on this
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:44 pm During the Cold War, the U.S. considered airdropping enormous condoms labeled "Medium" on the Soviets
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:33 pm how about we mute the entire server then all you can do is play or rage quit.
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:02 am FML im old and chics don't check me out anymore
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 pm BloodyRabbit is the sexiest man alive!! (Rubs nipples)

=(V)=BloodyRabbit
Co-Leader

Orion's***Belt wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:59 pm That's also what I have been working on......

I am working on one with as many "tricks" as I can fit in the map...... It will be awesome....

Like, putting InstantDeath inside flames in the map. I have added some rooms to give me places to teleport to. And, wanna add JumpPads so powerful that they spring you instantly into the ceiling.... squash! I love maps with that stuff....
Here you go... this *should* work. Not sure if there is a better way. But I found this for ya. Just follow the steps to save and import your image. And it *should* work.

http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... enshot.txt
A lot of mappers are sending me maps without screenshot included.
The screenshot may not look important when your map is great but when it is on a server amongst 300 other maps, it's ceratinly easier to remember a map which has a screenie in the mapvote feature rather than the filename.
Here is how to do :
1/ Taking the screenshot
- Launch your map in UT
- Goto the menu "Options" => "Preferences"
- Click on the "HUD" tab and uncheck "Show HUD"
- Click on the "Crosshair Color" dropdown and select "custom"
- Click on the "Game" Tab and select "Hidden" in the "Weapon hand" dropdown.
Now your HUD is showing nothing but the image of the game.
- Fly through your level typing "fly" or "ghost" in the console
- Take a screenshot using the F9 key
2/ Editing the screenshot
- Open your screenshot in a paint program like Paint Shop Pro
It is stored in your "UnrealTournament\System" folder as a bitmap (Shotxxxxx.bmp)
- Resize your screenshot to 256x256 pixels. Alternatively, if you want to avoid distortion, just take a quare part of the original screen.
-Reduce the number of colors to 256 <== this is very important.
- Save your screenshot as a ".pcx" file
3/ Inserting the screenshot in your map
- Open UnrealEd and load your map.
- Open the texture browser and import the .pcx file by doing "File" ==> "Import".
Package : MyLevel
Group :
Name : screenshot
- Choose "View" => "Level Properties" from the menu
- Choose "Level Info" => "Screenshot" and use the screenshot texture you have just loaded.
- Save your map

Orion's***Belt
Forums Elite

Post by Orion's***Belt »

That's the instructions for making the screenshot of the map for MapVoteLA. I hadn't even gotten to that part of the process. But, I am keeping a pretty good log book of the tricks, methods, and tips. So, thank you for that. I'll be sure to include the Slim Pickins riding the bomb in the screenshot of the map.

I also appreciate the TIPS links.

I have run several servers in the past, Sniper Server with LARGE MAPS theme, MH, Co-Op, and DM as well as old school SLV.
I still have my old batch files, and am very familiar with UZ compressing the files for fast sending from the redirect. I also have all the accessory apps, including one that I have been using a LOT lately, a map manager (checks the map files, and gives a way to add the necessary files for that map inside a zip file, etc... That one is a Godsend. I don;t currently have any inkling of an interest in running a server. Just editing the maps like evilgrins does. While he's on a MONSTER in the map mission, I am more about doing edits that include amazing tricks and features.

So, thanks again, and thanks to everyone, for the help with getting to know UT editor better.

BTW, Kevster had suggested that I get the V 2.1 of the editor, which I have done. However, it's default settings does not show the map in it's native view (bottom viewport) like the V2.0 does. Hoping he pops into this discussion and explains how to adjust the settings so that I can fly around like a bumble bee, spreading love, pollen, and transporters, Kegs-0-Health, etc, through out the maps I work on.
=(V)=BloodyRabbit
Co-Leader

Orion's***Belt wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:08 pm That's the instructions for making the screenshot of the map for MapVoteLA. I hadn't even gotten to that part of the process. But, I am keeping a pretty good log book of the tricks, methods, and tips. So, thank you for that. I'll be sure to include the Slim Pickins riding the bomb in the screenshot of the map.

I also appreciate the TIPS links.

I have run several servers in the past, Sniper Server with LARGE MAPS theme, MH, Co-Op, and DM as well as old school SLV.
I still have my old batch files, and am very familiar with UZ compressing the files for fast sending from the redirect. I also have all the accessory apps, including one that I have been using a LOT lately, a map manager (checks the map files, and gives a way to add the necessary files for that map inside a zip file, etc... That one is a Godsend. I don;t currently have any inkling of an interest in running a server. Just editing the maps like evilgrins does. While he's on a MONSTER in the map mission, I am more about doing edits that include amazing tricks and features.

So, thanks again, and thanks to everyone, for the help with getting to know UT editor better.

BTW, Kevster had suggested that I get the V 2.1 of the editor, which I have done. However, it's default settings does not show the map in it's native view (bottom viewport) like the V2.0 does. Hoping he pops into this discussion and explains how to adjust the settings so that I can fly around like a bumble bee, spreading love, pollen, and transporters, Kegs-0-Health, etc, through out the maps I work on.
Correct. But if you follow the directions about 256 color, pixels, image size and change file type then import the image imto UT editor it will be in there and you should be able to select it as a texture. You'll just ignore the parts about taking a screenshot and adding to map image. Just follow the part about the image and import.

I'll try this when I get home tonight.

=(V)=BloodyRabbit
Co-Leader

Orion's***Belt wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:08 pm
It worked!
UnrealEdExample.png
May I suggest you may be able to add different size images but I'm not sure how it will interact with UnrealEd. For example if you make an image 300pixels by 294pixels and you try to add it to your map by building a 256x256 object it may clip the image. Or it may always scrunch the image to 256x256. So you may need to build each object in the map specific to the size of the image you saved it as. -- I have no clue just speculation. You'll need to experiment.

:vmrocks :boff :thumbup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Mapping”