Snow and Rain, fully working

=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

Snow and Rain, fully working

Post by =(V)=RocketJedi »

https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12440
JackGriffin wrote:Now that the contest is closed I'm going to start sharing some of the things that are both part of paper and I's entry as well as some of the things I learned as I was trying to accomplish what's in the map proper.

One of the missing things in UT was good, working, fixed, online ready snow and rain. I looked at all the released weather mods and all of them had some sort of issue(s). Some looked great but didn't work online. Some worked online but were made in a way that wasted resources and the longer they ran the more it impacted the server. I wanted effects that could be specifically placed (not zone weather) that looked right but also was coded correctly. Well, here you go:
RainForUT.zip
SnowForUT.zip
To use just open the mod in editor and place the SnowActor or RainActor wherever you want the weather effect. Once placed you'll see configurations that will allow you to tweak to your desired level. The actors can be map placed like normal but they are also capable of being tied to something that moves. I fully plan on using these with my Ice and Nature Dragons to give a roaming weather effect that moves along with the monsters as they do their thing.

Enjoy!

(Developer talk from here on. If you are a mapper you can skip it)
The source code is included, please feel free to recycle as you wish. A VERY large part of this was done by MasterKent at OU because I was having serious problems getting the particles to recycle properly. A key (but missing) thing for weather is to properly recycle your snow flakes or rain drops. If you don't it becomes a hit to the server over time as all those actors are destroyed without a proper garbage collection (more on that in another post). These new weather emitters are done so that the server gets as minimum a hit as possible, considering you are spawning a couple hundred actors in a very short time. I'm interested in testing this further online, I want to see how dense the storms can be before the server starts to show strain from it. The mod is defaulted to an area of 512uu and 150 drops. This gives a solid effect of precipitation without trying to do too much.
Anyways I hope you guys get good use from these. There's a lot of work in there trying to get them right and I'm really proud they are correct. If you do use these please credit MasterKent in your code. He's a fantastic dude and deserves recognition. I don't care about my work, I'll know it when I see it ;)

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
=(V)=~Sean~
Pilot First Class

Re: Snow and Rain, fully working

Post by =(V)=~Sean~ »

Wow - excellent read !

I remember a TDM camping map where the whole battlefield consisted of towers, rolling hills and that snow just kept falling throughout the map. Made it very competitive. Combined with super dark skins, silenced sniper rifles that would not show the spent shell casings, nor muzzle flash, with 18X scopes and silent trans, it made for one of the best maps I've ever played.

I sooo want to see our TDM sniper server explode like back in the days when *all* I played was stealth camping. Miss it lots !

@=(V)=Kevster : any of your rifles like what I just described ?

~ Don't Let The Bastards Drag You Down ~
=(V)=~Sean~
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=~Sean~ »

bump

=(V)=Kevster
Pilot First Class - Contributor

Post by =(V)=Kevster »

=(V)=~Sean~ wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:17 pm Wow - excellent read !

I remember a TDM camping map where the whole battlefield consisted of towers, rolling hills and that snow just kept falling throughout the map. Made it very competitive. Combined with super dark skins, silenced sniper rifles that would not show the spent shell casings, nor muzzle flash, with 18X scopes and silent trans, it made for one of the best maps I've ever played.

I sooo want to see our TDM sniper server explode like back in the days when *all* I played was stealth camping. Miss it lots !

@=(V)=Kevster : any of your rifles like what I just described ?
I may have a sniper rifle from when I was with either TTS or TUC that someone modded with those characteristics. I just have to find it. I have tons and tons of UT99 stuff, but it's all over the place on multiple USB drives or computers. The one I remember is black and doesn't have any muzzle flash or show any spent shell casings. I'll have to look for it.
=(V)=~Sean~
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=~Sean~ »

"I have tons and tons of UT99 stuff, but it's all over the place on multiple USB drives or computers." - Yeah.... externals create issues with me too. I can't remember which drive holds which files. One of these days I will categorize every drive I have and make a .doc about it all and place the file on every drive.

"Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

:)

Return to “Mods, Coding & Programs”