Movers

Kuziam
Forums Member

Movers

Post by Kuziam »

How to make a lift/elevator because I am working on the my CTF-KuziamFabV2, And I want elevators on it so, people and feel like they are more energetic while playing if you know what I mean. So how to make a elevator mover also doors if you want to post it thanks, not too complicated tutorial.
=(V)iper=
Pilot First Class

Re: Movers

Post by =(V)iper= »

The simplest way is to make the shape you want, and there's a button that says "Add Mover" (this is all based on memory so bear with it) I believe it looks like a square with arrows pointing out. When that happens you'll see the brush or shape as a purple wire, right click the wire and go to Mover/Base(?) 0. Position the mover where you want if you haven't yet. Then do the right click again and this time go to the position 1 (not sure what it says). Then move the lift wherever you want. When you're done, always go back to the 0 position by clicking on the base part again, and test the map to see if it works.

If someone can manage to get the actual pictures and terms going or a better tutorial for that matter, otherwise I'll make a better one for you later

If you want to stroke my ego, be sure to spit on it first
KiLLaH
V.I.P.

Post by KiLLaH »

http://www.birrabrothers.com/drac/index.php?dsps=3
Save this website^..
Click on one of the 3 mover tutorials....There's also a link there that explains movers.
EvolutionZero
V.I.P.

Post by EvolutionZero »

i got these documents from a friend years ago, should help u with all things movers. Unfortunately i dont think i ever got the screenshots, on these documents there are suppose to be pictures, so obviously they wont work, hopefully u can figure all u need out without them

http://www.ftbclan.org/downloads/MoversTutorial.zip
Kuziam
Forums Member

Post by Kuziam »

Thanks, I'll check em out
=(V)=Muffin
Captain

Post by =(V)=Muffin »

I recently discovered how to get movers to work for me. Before when I would try to add them, they would end up not being solid and I'd just walk right through them. I eventually figured out myself that before you add the brush as a mover, you have to right click the brush , go to transform, and then transform permanently.

I don't recommend doing that unless you have the same problem I did, as I don't fully understand what transforming permanently does. I just wanted to give you that tip so you don't have to spend years trying to understand why your mover doesn't work. :-)
=(V)iper=
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)iper= »

=(V)=Muffin wrote:I recently discovered how to get movers to work for me. Before when I would try to add them, they would end up not being solid and I'd just walk right through them. I eventually figured out myself that before you add the brush as a mover, you have to right click the brush , go to transform, and then transform permanently.

I don't recommend doing that unless you have the same problem I did, as I don't fully understand what transforming permanently does. I just wanted to give you that tip so you don't have to spend years trying to understand why your mover doesn't work. :-)
Anytime you alter a shape such as the axis movement and resizing etc (look at the tunnels and base shape on Sidewinder) it gives it the permanent shape form, if you don't do it and say you make a slope on a shape, you'll walk on air.

=(V)=Kevster
Pilot First Class - Contributor

Post by =(V)=Kevster »

What I can do too, is get together all of my tutes. I have a tremendous number of tutes on everything from basic map making to of course, advanced movers. I can put them all up on uploaded.net where you can grab them. I'd tell you how to work with movers but I haven't done maps with them in years. So, I've forgotten a lot of what I learned. Going to take some time to bring back my memory. I'm just now starting to get back into mapping in my spare time. :thumbup
=(V)iper=
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)iper= »

Unfortunately all projects I have are on hold until fall/winter

Chamberly
Forums Participant

Post by Chamberly »

I'll give you some link just incase you forgot, and if you want to explore a little more in movers.

http://www.i4games.eu/forum/t6922-make- ... highlight=

^Basically it's how I ended up learning to make mover lol O_o but a bunch of link is included. Great stuff.
sumbich
Forums Participant

Post by sumbich »

my movers only wind up working by accident right now. that's the biggest thing I need to finish for my couple maps to be playable. that and weapons....thx for links
sumbich
Forums Participant

Post by sumbich »

Ok here's one thing I just do not get about setting these damn things up.

I shape and add a mover. I set it to location zero. I move it to where I want it to move to, set location 1. I move it back to location 0, attempt to reset that location to zero, and upon doing that, it then considers where I wanted 1, to be zero.

delete

I add the mover where I want position 1 to be. set 1, move it to where I want 0, set 0, it returns to where I want 1 and calls that 0. wtf?

delete

I add the mover at position 0, save, move it to 1, set 1, move to 0, set 0.....it returns to 1!!! wtf!?

delete

add the mover in and keep telling it over and over and over where both 1 and 0 are.

does not work.

it has been this way any time I have *ever* tried to add a mover, and any ones that work only do so by eventual accident. cant figure out wth I am doing wrong.

Can someone esplain to me the process? I looked in the mover tutorial, it has instructions but they gloss over the particulars I just mentioned.

What is set first, position 0? and then go set position 1? if so how does it return to 0 without thinking that "position 1" is actually position zero. I mean ffs, I've tried doing it in an order where I create where 1 should be, set to 0, move to where 0 should be, set to 1, then return to where 1 should be, set to zero....and it STILL just sets the damned thing with the lift stuck at the top.

and then sometimes when I try to set a position for the mover and position 1 winds up being set to some arbitrary location in the map.

this is seriously stupid *facepalm* I would be most grateful for some assistance in this, these movers are the only things keeping me from finishing a couple maps I began yeeeeears ago! I just want them done and out of my hair...and I think its an enjoyable design. (misuse of warp zones kept this from working on the net for years but it would work over LAN for some reason...tried going with movers instead....bahhhh)
=(V)=Muffin
Captain

Post by =(V)=Muffin »

0 should be your first numkey and your origin ((where the mover starts) obviously). Once you change the number from 0 to 1, you can change the mover's location to any point on the grid. To make the mover go back to location 0 (put the mover back at its origin), just change this number to "0".
Don't actually move the brush itself, or it will mess up the location of all the numkeys. I hope this helps.
sumbich
Forums Participant

Post by sumbich »

beaut, thanks, will give it a shot!

Return to “Mapping Help”