Good news for UT99 - Upcoming new UT Official Patch

=(V)=Mar
Colonel

Good news for UT99 - Upcoming new UT Official Patch

Post by =(V)=Mar »

https://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 1569587267

OldUnreal takes over maintenance of the Unreal Tournament code base
Dear OldUnreal and Unreal Tournament communities,

What some of you may have already suspected or heard through the grapevine can now finally be announced. The OldUnreal team has reached an agreement with Epic games to take over maintenance of the Unreal Tournament code base. I will be joining this effort along with a few other members of the OldUnreal developer team.

The goal of our maintenance project is to fix bugs, address performance problems, and to ensure that UT keeps running smoothly on modern platforms. We will not, however, change the way the game looks or feels. We will also ensure that new releases of UT remain network-compatible with older releases.

We have been working on a new UT patch for a while now and we have made quite some progress. We initially based our patch on UTPG's unreleased MD5 patch, but have addressed a lot of security and stability issues and have made a lot of overall improvements to the game. We do not have an ETA for the initial release yet, but we feel we are getting close.

Keep an eye on this forum for more news!

Cheers,
--anth

Legal Disclaimer: This project was approved by Epic, but it is not an official Epic project, nor has it been reviewed or tested by Epic.

We would like to express our sincere gratitude to the following people:

Epic Games: obviously Smiley
Stacey Conley (aka "Flak"): this project would not have happened without her. Thank you Stacey, you are amazing!
Ryan C. Gordon (aka "icculus"): for his hard work on UT over the years and for SDL2. If you like Ryan's work, then please consider supporting him.
Smirftsch and the OldUnreal team: for their many years of work on Unreal 227, for contributing the new ALAudio and XOpenGLDrv renderers, for hosting this forum, and for joining this effort. If you like OldUnreal's work, then please consider a donation.
Higor: for being the lead tester, reporting numerous bugs, submitting lots of fixes, for XC_Engine, and for helping us keep this game alive.
Chamberly: for testing and for finding lots of creative ways to break the game.
Chris Dohnal: for contributing the UTGLR OpenGL and Direct3D 9 renderers.

Mandatory Q&A:

Will this patch work on my machine?
Most likely! You will need a Pentium 4 machine running either Windows XP, a Linux distribution with glibc 2.19 or greater, Mac OS X 10.7, or macOS.

Will you release the updated Mac OS X/macOS client?
Yes! Do keep in mind, however, that our team does not have a lot of macOS hardware or expertise. The macOS client has not been thoroughly tested.

Will you release updated public headers?
Yes! We will be releasing an update to the core headers and the Windows import libraries. If you have any issues with porting native mods to UT v469, then please reach out to us here.

Will this break any mods?
No! We worked very hard to maintain compatibility with earlier versions of the game. All UnrealScript mods for UT v432-v451b should work without any modifications. Many native mods will also continue to work. However, some of them might need some trivial adjustments and/or a recompile.

Will this break my awesome 3D renderer?
No! All of your favorite 3D renderers will continue to work. Chris Dohnal's UTGLR renderers work great and are included in this patch. Marijn Kentie's Direct3D 10 renderers work too, but are not included.

Will you integrate XC_Engine?
Our agreement with Epic only allows us to fix bugs and to make sure the game keeps running smoothly on modern platforms. We therefore can (and have) only integrate(d) small parts of XC_Engine (thanks Higor!). XC_Engine itself will remain a standalone package.

Is there anything I can do to help out?
Yes! Keep an eye on this forum. We will be needing Mac and Linux testers soon. Also, if you know of any serious bugs in either UCC, UnrealEd, or UT itself, and if you can explain how to reproduce those bugs, then please report them at the Bugs subforum.

What happened to UTPG?
We don't know.

Have you fixed Unreal Editor?
Yes and no. Our current version of UnrealEd is superior to the one included in versions v436 through v451, but still has a few annoying bugs. After our initial patch, we will investigate whether it is possible to bring Unreal 227's UnrealEd to UT.
Looks like there is an upcoming patch called v469 coming soon.
=(V)=CandyMan
Forums Master

Re: Good news for UT99 - Upcoming new UT Official Patch

Post by =(V)=CandyMan »

And looks like Mar found out what's next in the sequence:

Knock Knock.. Who's there? v436.. v451... v451b.. What's next in the sequence? Find out soon..

v469 will be just like v436 :)
Co-Leader of the Vulpine Mission branch(es) in War Thunder and Call of Duty.
My tags are: =VM19=Coty2255 and |VM|TH3 J0K3R

More games and divisions are coming soon...

=(V)=Kevster
Pilot First Class - Contributor

Post by =(V)=Kevster »

Wow, wouldn't that be cool! Thanks for the FYI Mar! :approvecool
=(V)=BloodyRabbit
Co-Leader

Post by =(V)=BloodyRabbit »

Any officially allowed update whether or not it makes a noticeable difference is awesome! Just freaking awesome! So excited just to hear =)
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:16 am WTF I shot this twat-a-potamus and he didn't die!
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:01 am wtf lag is that!
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:31 am I cant believe i have to waste my time on this
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:44 pm During the Cold War, the U.S. considered airdropping enormous condoms labeled "Medium" on the Soviets
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:36 am A free picture of DEEZ NUTZ
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:12 pm bahaha this is great news
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:33 pm how about we mute the entire server then all you can do is play or rage quit.
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:02 am FML im old and chics don't check me out anymore
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 pm BloodyRabbit is the sexiest man alive!! (Rubs nipples)

Oh RJ, the things you say. This is worth the super long sig :laugh :vmrocks

medor
Forums Elite

Post by medor »

New ACE with UT scr .... goodbye cheaters :hi-wave
=(V)=TheRegular
Forums Elite

Post by =(V)=TheRegular »

Yes, I have to say that is really beautiful to hear.

UT FOREVER <3
=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by =(V)=RocketJedi »

Great news, but I still don't see what they are making better. UT works fine on all modern systems.

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
=(V)=MangaGate
Forums Elite

Post by =(V)=MangaGate »

=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:36 pm Great news, but I still don't see what they are making better. UT works fine on all modern systems.
I was reading some comments and Anth says that high map counts will be fixed in patch 469. loading and sorting map names will happen in C++, which will solve performance and stability issues. He also mentions that he has added crosshair scaling to the HUD and and options to configure it in the standard in-game menu. Anth mentions as well that he is making all Unreal Tournament Applications & ingame UWindow high-dpi aware so they do not look bad on high-res monitors.

There is probably alot more planned but just some things that anth pointed out.

Source: https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13572

sig by D/\SH

=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by =(V)=RocketJedi »

=(V)=MangaGate wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:53 pm
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:36 pm Great news, but I still don't see what they are making better. UT works fine on all modern systems.
I was reading some comments and Anth says that high map counts will be fixed in 469. loading and sorting map names will happen in C++, which will solve performance and stability issues. He also mentions that he has added crosshair scaling to the HUD and and options to configure it in the standard in-game menu. Anth mentions as well that he is making all Unreal Tournament Applications & ingame UWindow high-dpi aware so they do not look bad on high-res monitors.

There is probably alot more planned but just some things that anth pointed out.

Source: https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13572
Thanks @=(V)=MangaGate I guess I should have read it :laugh

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
Nyx
Forums Master

Post by Nyx »

Very nice, if only there was an actual player base...

Return to “UT 99 Specific Discussion”