Skateboarding or Longboarding

Photography, Cars, Animals, Wood and leather crafting or whatever your hobby may be!

No votes

Total votes: 0

=(V)=Pie
Pilot First Class

Skateboarding or Longboarding

Post by =(V)=Pie »

So, years ago when I dated this guy, I rode his skateboard and actually loved it. I never really tried to do any tricks, but always wanted to get my own board.

My dad was cheap, so that never happened, and then I just stopped thinking about it.

Recently, when my husband and I were at the mall I saw a Penny Board at Tilly's and thought, "Omfg, I want one!" After looking them up though, they're really not all that great apart from how they look and how light they are.

So, I did my research and decided I really really want a longboard. I want to be able to cruise and learn how to slide. I even found a board and customized it on a site. Sad part is it'll cost about $300. So, I won't be able to get it any time soon, but now I'm pretty obsessed.

Anyone else here skateboard or longboard?

Signature by Dash. Thank you!
Blacklightning
Forums Elite

Re: Skateboarding or Longboarding

Post by Blacklightning »

300 bucks ain't bad if its something you're really into. My neighbors had one when I was little and let me use it, but the only thing I could do is lay down on it, too scared to stand up. I guess I always preferred 2 wheels over 4 but they do look fun.
I always thought that longboards were for going down mountains and stuff like that.
=(V)=Pie
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=Pie »

Yeah, the price isn't bad as you're paying for quality, but it's still a lot of money.

A lot of longboards ARE geared for going downhill, but you can also get them more specifically for cruising or sliding. Google some longboard sliding videos and you can see what has me interested. It looks like a lot of fun. Not sure I could ever get into the downhill thing for fear of breaking a limb or my neck though, lol.

=(V)=D/\SH
Colonel

Post by =(V)=D/\SH »

I used to skate .....still have a few decks
but as im getting older....my days of doing tricks and rolling my ankles are gone

so I just use em for point A to point B cruising
and would prefer to have a long board myself

so yoru making the correct choice with that one Pie !!

now as ya stated..you want to learn how to slide
so the question ya have to ask yourself is

do ya wanna wipeout when ya run over stones (like standard skateboards will do)
or do ya want a board that is made for cruising comfortably ??

for sliding - generally you use a harder wheel (nothing above 100A) if they even make anything higher than that ??
but if ya want a smooth comfortable ride..taht will handle cracks ,rocks on the road and such - you generally use a softer wheel 72A (id recommend 78A-82A) --but this will make sliding a lot more difficult !!

there are oter factors to consider though

a wheel base that is a little larger in diameter is what id suggest - as I don't think you need the crazy speed a small diameter wheel will give ya (and obviously the smaller the wheel ...the less chance of surviving cracks and stones and such)

so a larger wheel will help with the ability to roll over things (don't get anything to big though....or ya wont be able to slide at all - or carry as much speed ;)

then theres the core of the wheel..and that plays a huge part of grip / slide / and speed

Large cored wheels generally accelerate faster, slide smoother and lose traction earlier and wll decelerate faster

a smaller Cored whell will accelerate slower but will hold speed longer and ride a lot smoother on rough road conditions and have a lot more grip

but im sure if ya know what riding style ya want ....your local skate shop can help ya out with exactly what ya need !!

so please SUPPORT THEM ...dont buy online ;)
that is the one thing I cant stress more

skate shops..bike shops..and Photograhy shops...all need the communities help to stay alive :)
as its their valuable input and help that is most appreciated from said shops
SO I always encourage others to support them :cool

other than that ...HAPPY RIDING PIE
=(V)=Pie
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=Pie »

Well, the shop I plan to buy from isn't local to me but is to those in San Diego. They're not a huge chain at all, and when reading their "About Us" description they seem like pretty awesome guys set-out to help you make the right decision. They even have a detailed guide on their site to help you figure out the deck, trucks, wheels, bearings, etc., that you need depending on how you plan to ride.

I wouldn't feel bad supporting this company at all. There's actual much fewer skate shops here than I expected. I know there's a ton in Vegas, but I suppose the scene just isn't as big here.

=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by =(V)=RocketJedi »

i wanna do cool stuffs :(

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
=(V)=D/\SH
Colonel

Post by =(V)=D/\SH »

wow..thats actually shocking
woulda thought 4th ave or somewhere on broadway woulda had some good skate shops

but why I specify local
is cause all places are local ---> if you live there
but to keep a skate shop open in town..it needs the communities to support it

which is maybe why there aren't any shops in Tucson anymore :(

but as fo rthe place ya found, its not shocking that it wouldn't be a cool place
they are skaters, and they love what they do and naturally want to encourage others to follow in their passions

so if ya can talk to them ...and discuss what kinda riding style ya want
and let em know ya don't wanna kill yourself either ;)

im sure they will be able to hook ya up with a happy medium

_______

but I will say those awesome videos you see
will use a harder wheel base for awesome sliding

but what ya don't see...is them wiping out all the time ;)
and trust me..if ya wanna sliding deck...your going to have a lot more wipe outs / injuries
=(V)=D/\SH
Colonel

Post by =(V)=D/\SH »

=(V)=RocketJedi wrote:i wanna do cool stuffs :(
get out there and do it bud

its never to late to learn :D
=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by =(V)=RocketJedi »

I used to skateboard as a kid. I'm to old now lol

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
=(V)=D/\SH
Colonel

Post by =(V)=D/\SH »

never to old ;) ..unless your 70 - 100
than id advise against it ;)
=(V)=Pie
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=Pie »

Lol. I'll definitely be wearing protective gear when I attempt anything. I just think it'd be a really fun hobby to get into that promotes being active. You know, for when I'm not swimming. =-P

NyteBlayDe
Forums Master

Post by NyteBlayDe »

When i see those skates on TV ,I thought i'd really like to give them a try ,I think it is really hard in the first time ,But you know ,You will get used for it.
Signature made by =(V)=D/\SH
=(V)=betho
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=betho »

I practical skate really love is a great but very risky sport and do many tricks only two weeks ago that no longer I practice it because I hurt her foot by a trick bad echo (after 30 minutes of skateboarding gives me a pain in foot and leaves me walking) have also used the longboard but I liked is not very large but has advantages even so I prefer a thousand times more skateboarding

Return to “Hobby Corner”