Gardening

Photography, Cars, Animals, Wood and leather crafting or whatever your hobby may be!
=(V)=Rurik
Pilot First Class

Re: Gardening

Post by =(V)=Rurik »

=(V)=Prince Vegeta wrote:I used to grow tomatoes in raised beds on top of a very clayey soil.

Home Depot used to carry some pre-cut 2"x12"'s (Maybe 2x10) either three or four feet long) so you could make beds. Four per bed. Also required are screws and 90 degree metal angles to keep the bed structurally sturday (1 per corner on the bottom and two additional screws joining two boards on the vertical edges.

Soil. I used 1/2 potting soil and 1/2 top soil, amended with a bit of leaf gro (composted yard clippings). Leaf gro has a lot of nitrogen, which is good for tall green plants, however need make sure you fertilize based on what you intend to grow. Tomatoes and fruiting plants like more phosphorous than nitrogen for nice juicy fruits.

Fertilizer: For tomatoes and peppers, I used http://www.espoma.com/p_consumer/tones_ ... 2wacFffe6I.

A good source of nitrogen that you can get for free is Used Coffe Grounds (at least I used to from Starbucks) http://www.greenplanet.com/great-coffee ... ertilizer/. They also bring the WORMS, which are good at helping make a balanced soil.

I will try to give some more info later. This is by no means all encompassing.

Need pics/more info on backyard, as you want the roots to go as deep as possible.
Really good info there!

Avoid using chemicals to get rid of bugs since they can alter your crops. Some other bugs might help as well like Spiders or Ladybugs.

Here are some natural pesticides:
Rhubarb Leaf Mix
1 cup rhubarb leaves
6.5 cups water
1/4 cup liquid dish detergent or soap flakes
Cover rhubarb leaves with water and bring to a boil. Boil for 20 minutes then remove from heat and cool. Strain then add 1/4 cup liquid dish detergent. Apply. Good for aphids, june beetles, spider mites, thrips.
Rhubarb leaves are poisonous, take care when preparing and handling. Do not use on food bearing plants.

Garlic, Peppers & Onion Insecticide
2 hot peppers
1 large onion
1 whole bulb of garlic
1/4 cup water
Toss in the food processor and add water, blend until a mash is made. Cover mash with 1 gallon hot (not boiling) water and let stand 24 hours. Strain. Spray on roses, azaleas, vegetables to kill bug infestations. Bury mash in ground where bugs are heaviest. Good for thrips, aphids, grasshoppers, chewing and sucking insects.

Tomato Leaves Mix
Crush leaves from a tomato plant and soak in water for a couple days. Strain then spray. Good for grasshopper and white fly control.
Tomato leaves are poisonous, take care when preparing and handling. Do not use on food bearing plants.

Basil Tea
4 cups water
1 cup fresh basil (or 2 TBS dried)
1 tsp liquid dish detergent
Bring water to a boil then add basil. Remove from heat, cover and steep until cool. Strain. Mix in the liquid detergent then apply. Good for aphids.

Salt Spray
2 TBS salt
1.5 gallons warm water
Mix salt and water to dissolve, allow to cool to room temperature. Use for spider mites, caterpillars, cabbage worms and chewing insects.

For recipes that require liquid dish detergent, use the basic stuff–nothing fancy with added bleach, nothing concentrated and no special antibacterial formulas. You can also substitute with a gentler liquid soap such as liquid castile or a perfume free, gentle liquid hand soap.

Apply the treatment on top of the leaves as well as underneath–don’t overdo it, excess can cause damage.
Most recipes can be used effectively with just a weekly treatment.
Excessive use may affect the plant as well as kill the good insects you want to encourage in your garden (earthworms, bees, ladybugs, etc.).
If you aren’t seeing results with a 7 day treatment, you can bump it up to 5 days but watch carefully to make sure plants can handle it without being damaged.
Avoid treating during hot sunny weather, do so later in the day to reduce the risk of burning.
If it looks like rain, delay until the weather is clear since any rain will wash away the new application. If it has recently rained, wait till greenery is dry before applying to prevent the mix being diluted with water.
When trying a new recipe, test on just a couple leaves first (apply then watch how the test leaves react after two or three days, if no signs of damage proceed with spraying the whole plant).

I’m sure I don't need to remind you this but I'll do it anyways. :smile
As with all pesticides, take care when applying to food bearing plants, handling and storage of the pesticide, but wash all produce well before consuming.
Or you could plant natural repellents:
Rosemary, Mint, Thyme: Grow near cabbage. Repels cabbage worms
Nasturtiums: Position near cucumbers, melons and squashes. Repels squash bugs
Summer Savory: Position near beans. Repels bean beetles
Radishes: Grow near cucumbers. Repels cucumber beetles
If you're going to use bugs for pest control you must be sure that you have a balance of bugs in your garden because if they can't find something to eat they will obviously leave or in the worst case scenario they'll start eating some of your plants as well.
A small pond where small frogs can live is a good idea too since they eat pretty much every garden bug. Dont' worry about your pool because they'll prefer to be in a small dark pond rather than your brighty pool. But you shouldn't be surprised if you find one swimming in your pool lol.
Birds are a good idea too, but that depends on the bird life around your zone.
Interesting fact: You can identify a bird's diet because of it's beak.

Edit:
I found this:
ImageSignature by =(V)=D/\SH!

Jeg har ingenting, men jeg har alt når jeg har deg.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image
=(V)=Pie
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=Pie »

Really awesome info, Rurik! Thank you so much!

Do you have any tips on getting rid of weeds and wasps? Without using chemicals?

Signature by Dash. Thank you!
=(V)=Rurik
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=Rurik »

Well, the best way is to call someone to remove it for you. If you do this be sure to tell them not to spray anything on them and actually remove the nest.

If you're brave enough to do it yourself (Or someone else that doesn't have any experience) you can do this:

Cover yourselves from head to toe as best as you can to protect you from stings. Wear lots of layers, and protect your face with some sort of mask especially. Unlike Bees, Wasps don't die when stinging. Wasps and hornets can sting numerous times and will do so aggressively, if provoked. They will also bite you.

Just boil a huge pot of water and add Soap. Go pour it on the nest, this will kill hundreds or even thousands of wasps at once. It will also disolve the nest since is made of paper, but it will probably take multiple applications to get them all. Dump the water and then run as fast as you can for shelter. Wait until the wasps have stopped raging before you go in for round two.
Do this at night because Wasps show less activity at night, so you have a better chance of catching them by surprise. The Wasps or Hornets will be mostly by the nest getting ready to sleep or wake up and won't be flying around. This will also allow you more time to escape after you rain death down upon them. :laugh2

After getting rid of the nest, there are ways to prevent them from making another one.

- Fake Nest: A fake wasp nest will help because wasps are fiercely territorial. They won't build a nest too close to another established nest.

- Traps: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Wasp-Trap
Make as many traps as you feel are needed to cover the space. One trap may be sufficient but if you have various inviting eaves around the place, place several, just in case you accidentally ward off one spot only to encourage nest-building on the other side of the house!

- Altering the Environment: Depending on where the hornets made their nest, there are several possible approaches to making it seem different to them, and therefore hopefully deterring them from rebuilding the nest.
Cutting down branches, bushes and even a tree
Repainting a wall, eave, birdhouse, other items around the home
Putting up sparkly, sun-catching mobiles, mirrors or CDs in the vicinity of the demolished/removed nest.
Changing some other element dramatically around the garden or home where the hornets were hanging around.

Some other tips:

- Remove any dead bodies of Wasps: as their bodies might release a chemical that alerts the rest of the colony of their fate.

- Never ever squash a Wasp or Hornet while outdoors: Be aware that swatting or squashing hornets also releases a chemical signal that encourages other hornets to turn up and sting in defense. While this might not be an issue indoors, be careful. And never squash a hornet outdoors!
ImageSignature by =(V)=D/\SH!

Jeg har ingenting, men jeg har alt når jeg har deg.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image
=(V)=Pie
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=Pie »

At this current moment, there aren't any wasps nests at our house (as far as I know), but I see wasps themselves all around this apartment complex, so I feel like they must be a pretty big thing in Tucson.

So, this definitely helps in case it's something I'll have to deal with.

What about weeds?

=(V)=Prince Vegeta
Pilot First Class - Contributor

Post by =(V)=Prince Vegeta »

My raised beds from 2006. Notice the mulch, keeps weeds at a minimum for hand pulling. Note: you don't want the bed to be wider than four feet, else you cant reach the middle from outside the bed.

BTW, the tomatoes got much taller than the stakes shown.

Nothing beats a sandwich made with home grown heirloom tomatoes, home grown basil and buffalo mozzarella.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
=(V)=Pie
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=Pie »

Very nice tomatoes! Definitely similar to what I want to achieve, though I'm not sure if tomatoes are one of the things I plan to grow.

And wow, that sandwich looks amazing! =-]

=(V)=Prince Vegeta
Pilot First Class - Contributor

Post by =(V)=Prince Vegeta »

http://www.gardenweb.com/

Nice gardening forum.
medor
Forums Elite

Post by medor »

so I'll have to use raised beds.
is not started and you are already happened to sandwich :laugh
=(V)=SolarianThunder
Forums Participant

Post by =(V)=SolarianThunder »

This is my deck currently - http://stkproductions.net/stk_artwork/IMG_0843.JPG

Nothing like 20ft of South Facing space.
=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by =(V)=RocketJedi »

looks great!

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
=(V)=SolarianThunder
Forums Participant

Post by =(V)=SolarianThunder »

Tnx, my facebook has the deck as the cover image. I update it weekly since April 16 or so...

Return to “Hobby Corner”