Gardening

Photography, Cars, Animals, Wood and leather crafting or whatever your hobby may be!
=(V)=Pie
Pilot First Class

Gardening

Post by =(V)=Pie »

I'm hoping to make a garden at our house when we finally get in there and get settled. The backyard is completely landscaped with gravel though, so I'll have to use raised beds.

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with gardening and can give me any tips. I've been looking at various ideas on Pinterest, but it's good to have people I can actually communicate with, lol.

Signature by Dash. Thank you!
=(V)=CandyMan
Forums Master

Re: Gardening

Post by =(V)=CandyMan »

My Dad wants to grow a garden in this small patch behind my gram's house and he wants me to help him, other than that, I have zero knowledge of gardening, even though it looks and seems easy.
Co-Leader of the Vulpine Mission branch(es) in War Thunder and Call of Duty.
My tags are: =VM19=Coty2255 and |VM|TH3 J0K3R

More games and divisions are coming soon...

=(V)=Rurik
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=Rurik »

Well, one of my subjects is Botany. So I guess I can give you basic advices and info about plants and gardening.
Fire away! :smile
ImageSignature by =(V)=D/\SH!

Jeg har ingenting, men jeg har alt når jeg har deg.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image
=(V)=SILVER_FOX
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=SILVER_FOX »

A pic of your backyard an idea of what u want to do with it will help.. :)

sig by =(V)=DASH
=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by =(V)=RocketJedi »

al I want to grow is weeeed

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
=(V)=Pie
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=Pie »

I only have a crappy picture of the backyard atm, but when we get into it I can post a new one up.

I'm mostly hoping to grow vegetables, but I wouldn't mind growing flowers as well.

Is there a best type of fertilizer to use for either? Is it best to keep compost from fruit and vegetables to use when gardening? What's the best way to prevent insects and what not without using chemicals? Do any plants need a specific amount of dirt to grow in?

Since I'll have to use a raised planter of sorts, I'll need to know how tall it'll need to be in order for the plants to grow properly.

=(V)=SILVER_FOX
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=SILVER_FOX »

so when u say back yard ... u mean the yard before the pool or the pool area too ??

sig by =(V)=DASH
NyteBlayDe
Forums Master

Post by NyteBlayDe »

=(V)=RocketJedi wrote:al I want to grow is weeeed
Lol!
Signature made by =(V)=D/\SH
=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by =(V)=RocketJedi »

=(V)=Pie wrote:I only have a crappy picture of the backyard atm, but when we get into it I can post a new one up.

I'm mostly hoping to grow vegetables, but I wouldn't mind growing flowers as well.

Is there a best type of fertilizer to use for either? Is it best to keep compost from fruit and vegetables to use when gardening? What's the best way to prevent insects and what not without using chemicals? Do any plants need a specific amount of dirt to grow in?

Since I'll have to use a raised planter of sorts, I'll need to know how tall it'll need to be in order for the plants to grow properly.

I honestly swear by miracle grow for top soil

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
=(V)=Pie
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=Pie »

=(V)=SILVER_FOX wrote:so when u say back yard ... u mean the yard before the pool or the pool area too ??
Before the pool. Just outside the sliding glass door, there's about 20ft by 10ft or so of mostly just gravel, and that's the area I want to work with for the garden. After that is the gate to the pool area. I plan to do some sort of 'landscaping' with stones in that area for a sitting area and fire pit, etc., so no plans for gardening around the pool.

medor
Forums Elite

Post by medor »

Under the gravel there mandatory of the earth.
Why not disburse?
=(V)=Pie
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=Pie »

The way they lay out the gravel here, it has a sort of 'sheet' underneath it but above the earth/dirt. So, it'd be a lot more work to try and get through that.

That's why I plan to use raised garden beds, as I can fill those with all the soil necessary, without having to ruin the landscaping in the backyard.

=(V)=Prince Vegeta
Pilot First Class - Contributor

Post by =(V)=Prince Vegeta »

I used to grow tomatoes in raised beds on top of a very clayey soil.

Home Depot used to carry some pre-cut 2"x12"'s (Maybe 2x10) either three or four feet long) so you could make beds. Four per bed. Also required are screws and 90 degree metal angles to keep the bed structurally sturday (1 per corner on the bottom and two additional screws joining two boards on the vertical edges.

Soil. I used 1/2 potting soil and 1/2 top soil, amended with a bit of leaf gro (composted yard clippings). Leaf gro has a lot of nitrogen, which is good for tall green plants, however need make sure you fertilize based on what you intend to grow. Tomatoes and fruiting plants like more phosphorous than nitrogen for nice juicy fruits.

Fertilizer: For tomatoes and peppers, I used http://www.espoma.com/p_consumer/tones_ ... 2wacFffe6I.

A good source of nitrogen that you can get for free is Used Coffe Grounds (at least I used to from Starbucks) http://www.greenplanet.com/great-coffee ... ertilizer/. They also bring the WORMS, which are good at helping make a balanced soil.

I will try to give some more info later. This is by no means all encompassing.

Need pics/more info on backyard, as you want the roots to go as deep as possible.
=(V)=Pie
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=Pie »

Wow, that's a lot of great info Prince Vegeta! =-]

I'll post new pics as soon as I can and give you a better idea of what I plan to do.

medor
Forums Elite

Post by medor »

I do not know about your country
But home can be used railway sleepers oak or teak cheap. https://www.google.fr/search?q=traverse ... 20&bih=962

Return to “Hobby Corner”