unrealtournament.ini got wiped out

Need help with computer related stuff? This is their spot!
=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by =(V)=RocketJedi »

so i was playing rx. someone joined game. All of a sudden my ut crashed and spiked the cpu. couldnt end task for anything so i hard powered down. keep in mind i have a ssd.

rebooted machine. unrealtournament.ini is missing .. or is it? it seemed to have been partially there but only showing the render device.. now all my settings /and favs are gone.

weird shit.

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
=(V)=BloodyRabbit
Co-Leader

Post by =(V)=BloodyRabbit »

Never heard of this. Weird...... is the SSD in working condition? - First most obvious question.
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:16 am WTF I shot this twat-a-potamus and he didn't die!
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:01 am wtf lag is that!
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:31 am I cant believe i have to waste my time on this
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:44 pm During the Cold War, the U.S. considered airdropping enormous condoms labeled "Medium" on the Soviets
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:36 am A free picture of DEEZ NUTZ
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:12 pm bahaha this is great news
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:33 pm how about we mute the entire server then all you can do is play or rage quit.
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:02 am FML im old and chics don't check me out anymore
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 pm BloodyRabbit is the sexiest man alive!! (Rubs nipples)

Oh RJ, the things you say. This is worth the super long sig :laugh :vmrocks

medor
Forums Elite

Post by medor »

If it ave be removed the Default.ini replace it with the name UnrealTournament.ini.

You must ave a save ini :smilewinkgrin
=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by =(V)=RocketJedi »

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Never heard of this. Weird...... is the SSD in working condition? - First most obvious question.

ssd is is perfect running condition.

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
=(V)=BloodyRabbit
Co-Leader

Post by =(V)=BloodyRabbit »

=(V)=RocketJedi wrote:
=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Never heard of this. Weird...... is the SSD in working condition? - First most obvious question.

ssd is is perfect running condition.
Sounds like a critical windows error perhaps? What do the log files show? I'd inspect them for information that may be of value.

Other possibility. (Im not sure how an SSD works but I'm sure it's very similar to a spinning hard drive.) A spinning hard drive comes loaded with more physical memory than is shown by your Operating System. I.e. your OS may show Disk C has 100gigs but in reality. There is 100.2gigs. -- This is because of the fact every drive comes with bad spots or bad spots are developed later on. The internal programming the hard drive uses seperate from the OS will "fix" these automatically by reassigning where that data is written. Example ---
For simplicity's sake your data is stored in synchronous order. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 on the hard drive. If spot 5 of this data is bad. The internal hard drive program will realize that in spot 5 of the hard drive it is corrupt/became corrupt. So it maps 5 to spot 12 on the hard drive. Your OS does not know this. As far as it knows nothing has changed.

That all being said. The theory I'm coming up with for you is that with the SSD that spot became corrupt on your hard drive. Your SSD could not repair or fix this issue when it happened. Then because windows was using this file for UT it systemically caused a system crash with very unpredictable results. Then when you reloaded your windows the .ini file was shown being damaged. (Perhaps other files were damaged too but only that one was unfixable, or other damaged files are yet to be found.) -- Just a theory. =)

While we are talking about SSD and hard drives I'll just tell everyone. If you want to save data ALWAYS USE A SPINNING HARD DRIVE (non SSD). Only use an SSD for files you don't care about (unless the SSD has a backup). - Reason being that a spinning hard drive can be repaired much easier and much cheaper because it has detachable replaceable interchangeable parts while an SSD does not have that same level.
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:16 am WTF I shot this twat-a-potamus and he didn't die!
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:01 am wtf lag is that!
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:31 am I cant believe i have to waste my time on this
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:44 pm During the Cold War, the U.S. considered airdropping enormous condoms labeled "Medium" on the Soviets
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:36 am A free picture of DEEZ NUTZ
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:12 pm bahaha this is great news
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:33 pm how about we mute the entire server then all you can do is play or rage quit.
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:02 am FML im old and chics don't check me out anymore
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 pm BloodyRabbit is the sexiest man alive!! (Rubs nipples)

Oh RJ, the things you say. This is worth the super long sig :laugh :vmrocks

=(V)=CandyMan
Forums Master

Post by =(V)=CandyMan »

=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: so i was playing rx. someone joined game. All of a sudden my ut crashed and spiked the cpu. couldnt end task for anything so i hard powered down. keep in mind i have a ssd.

rebooted machine. unrealtournament.ini is missing .. or is it? it seemed to have been partially there but only showing the render device.. now all my settings /and favs are gone.

weird shit.
Had to be the Russians.
Co-Leader of the Vulpine Mission branch(es) in War Thunder and Call of Duty.
My tags are: =VM19=Coty2255 and |VM|TH3 J0K3R

More games and divisions are coming soon...

Return to “Computer Geeks”