Help me fix my ping

Need help with computer related stuff? This is their spot!
=(\/)=_\/3|\|0/\/\
Forums Master

Help me fix my ping

Post by =(\/)=_\/3|\|0/\/\ »

take a look at this shit, can anyone tell me whats wrong?
and how to fix it?

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|---------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|dslrouter.westell.com - 0 | 430 | 430 | 1 | 21 | 1135 | 3 |
|10.49.251.1 - 1 | 341 | 339 | 34 | 722 | 3682 | 37 |
| G0-14-2-0.NWRKNJ-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net - 0 | 343 | 343 | 36 | 743 | 3681 | 54 |
|No response from host - 100 | 86 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
|No response from host - 100 | 86 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
|Bundle-Ether6.GW5.NYC4.ALTER.NET - 1 | 339 | 338 | 38 | 753 | 3681 | 40 |
|internap-gw.customer.alter.net - 0 | 343 | 343 | 37 | 743 | 3682 | 43 |
|border1-po1-bbnet1.nyj004.pnap.net - 1 | 342 | 341 | 34 | 731 | 3681 | 42 |
|inap-b1e1.e5.router.nyc.nfoservers.com - 1 | 342 | 341 | 37 | 732 | 3682 | 44 |
|c-63-251-20-60.managed-vds.internap-nyc.nfoservers.com - 1 | 340 | 339 | 36 | 752 | 3682 | 59 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider
=(V)=BloodyRabbit
Co-Leader

Re: Help me fix my ping

Post by =(V)=BloodyRabbit »

Can you run it again for a bit then take a screen shot? It's tough for me to read it easily with the charts scattered/reformatted from forum.
It looks like you have scattered packet loss. Which is indicative of a router not working correctly. Possibly due to poor wireless connection between your device and router. Or, an overloaded/overworked router. Or the router is starting to age/perform badly.

At first glance that's what I see. Run it again for a while then take a screen shot of the results for RJ and all too
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:16 am WTF I shot this twat-a-potamus and he didn't die!
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:01 am wtf lag is that!
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:31 am I cant believe i have to waste my time on this
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:44 pm During the Cold War, the U.S. considered airdropping enormous condoms labeled "Medium" on the Soviets
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:36 am A free picture of DEEZ NUTZ
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:12 pm bahaha this is great news
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:33 pm how about we mute the entire server then all you can do is play or rage quit.
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:02 am FML im old and chics don't check me out anymore
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 pm BloodyRabbit is the sexiest man alive!! (Rubs nipples)

Oh RJ, the things you say. This is worth the super long sig :laugh :vmrocks

=(V)=BloodyRabbit
Co-Leader

I had same issue as you. Very hard to catch the problem because it was very intermittent. But I'm pretty sure it's your router. We bought new nice router for our home. BAM problem solved! =) Can you run the test for longer?

Are you over wifi?
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:16 am WTF I shot this twat-a-potamus and he didn't die!
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:31 am I cant believe i have to waste my time on this
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:44 pm During the Cold War, the U.S. considered airdropping enormous condoms labeled "Medium" on the Soviets
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:33 pm how about we mute the entire server then all you can do is play or rage quit.
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:02 am FML im old and chics don't check me out anymore
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 pm BloodyRabbit is the sexiest man alive!! (Rubs nipples)

=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by =(V)=RocketJedi »

its right at your router. i would unplug all networking and power back up. make sure no one is on Netflix or torrents etc that will crush your connection .

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
=(\/)=_\/3|\|0/\/\
Forums Master

It's Wi-Fi, and I'm betting it's the router as well, it's an older one
=(V)=BloodyRabbit
Co-Leader

=(\/)=_\/3|\|0/\/\ wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:17 pm It's Wi-Fi, and I'm betting it's the router as well, it's an older one
If you want to avoid potentially spending $80 for no gain but don't mind doing extra work then do as RJ suggested. That's a great place to start. And keep posting updates as we give recommendations so we can find your issue. Please take note of any user, device, or computer uploading data. And stop them from being turned on or uploading. Uploading almost always has a bigger impact than downloading does on your ping. If you or someone is uploading too much turn down the upload speed on the program they are using or deactivate the program/device temporarily to test if your connection stabilizes. If someone is uploading full throttle this would likely be your ping issue. Uploading ALWAYS impacts ping more than downloading.

For the TEST portion. You have to be patient. You have to allow the same time to pass as in the past when you started experiencing lag. If it took 10 mins to experience lag before wait 10 mins. Run the MTR program a while and take a screen shot of the results with the new setup and disabled devices/uploading.

-- THEN --
If that doesn't work we will give you another step. My recommendations on the next steps will likely be to determine what about your connection to your router is having an issue. If it's hardware I will recommend a possible firmware upgrade if its applicable. Or a new router if applicable. If it's a connection issue. I may recommend a new wifi card, antenna adjustment, changing of broadcast channel, etc.

**Edit** If you choose to just buy a new router I make no promise it will fix your issue without more testing. But if you decide to, go for something beefy and more expensive. Trust me on this. So far it looks the exact same as the issue we were having here at my house. I did a lot of testing though using Wireshark and other things. I eventually determined the router was overloaded for all the devices we had. We bought something expensive and beefy and the problem was fixed.***

BIG_JAKE-}X{_{HoF}
Forums Elite

Post by BIG_JAKE-}X{_{HoF} »

Go here and do some reading. Try this before you buy a new one. I'm going to try it out. I have two of the same routers now, so im going to try this out.
https://www.howtogeek.com/56612/turn-yo ... th-dd-wrt/
Why run, you will only die tired!
=(\/)=_\/3|\|0/\/\
Forums Master

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:05 pm
=(\/)=_\/3|\|0/\/\ wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:17 pm It's Wi-Fi, and I'm betting it's the router as well, it's an older one
If you want to avoid potentially spending $80 for no gain but don't mind doing extra work then do as RJ suggested. That's a great place to start. And keep posting updates as we give recommendations so we can find your issue. Please take note of any user, device, or computer uploading data. And stop them from being turned on or uploading. Uploading almost always has a bigger impact than downloading does on your ping. If you or someone is uploading too much turn down the upload speed on the program they are using or deactivate the program/device temporarily to test if your connection stabilizes. If someone is uploading full throttle this would likely be your ping issue. Uploading ALWAYS impacts ping more than downloading.

For the TEST portion. You have to be patient. You have to allow the same time to pass as in the past when you started experiencing lag. If it took 10 mins to experience lag before wait 10 mins. Run the MTR program a while and take a screen shot of the results with the new setup and disabled devices/uploading.

-- THEN --
If that doesn't work we will give you another step. My recommendations on the next steps will likely be to determine what about your connection to your router is having an issue. If it's hardware I will recommend a possible firmware upgrade if its applicable. Or a new router if applicable. If it's a connection issue. I may recommend a new wifi card, antenna adjustment, changing of broadcast channel, etc.

**Edit** If you choose to just buy a new router I make no promise it will fix your issue without more testing. But if you decide to, go for something beefy and more expensive. Trust me on this. So far it looks the exact same as the issue we were having here at my house. I did a lot of testing though using Wireshark and other things. I eventually determined the router was overloaded for all the devices we had. We bought something expensive and beefy and the problem was fixed.***
Ran winmtr for an hour last night, will post results when I have time

Problem is, it's not my router, it's my in laws, so it's up to them to make the calls and make the necessary changes, I'm not comfortable with pushing that boundary yet unless I got the info to back it up lol

And I'm gonna have to.agree that it's probably device overload/ being overworked because there are so many things connected at once
=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

BIG_JAKE-}X{_{HoF} wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:06 am Go here and do some reading. Try this before you buy a new one. I'm going to try it out. I have two of the same routers now, so i'm going to try this out.
https://www.howtogeek.com/56612/turn-yo ... th-dd-wrt/
a shitty router is a shitty router no amount of software will fix that. although this custom software is great it wont help with modern high demand apps that require good bandwidth. I finally had to retire my first gen dual band 2/5ghz router. it just couldn't handle baby room camera on two phones, netflix , and PC gaming over WiFi and wired.

I would check for firmware updates on the router, but keep in mind it may reset your WiFi settings

something that may help the situation is called QOS now this is worth reading up on if your router supports it.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/chan ... ngs-how-to

old router was a https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6833127258

i recently bought this and I am super happy! https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC66U-B1/

I Can monitor and make router changes form my cell phone so dope.

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
=(V)=BloodyRabbit
Co-Leader

Ohh yeah! I remember now. This has been brought up in the past. Something about its when your visiting family or something and they stream netflix and you play UT. And they don't have a fast internet connection.

-- yes. You will see lots of random packet loss as that's what isp's do to throttle or control your speed. Essentially they don't give a crap who is doing what at your home. As data comes in there's a peak what they call window size. Once that is crossed your isp drops packets and says fuck off you bastard! You're using more bandwidth than allocated. Your local device(s) then uses the TCP/IP protocol stack to determine optimum window size and frequency for the protocol being used. - for those wanting to know. There's even more details you nerds can learn about if really interested.

--in layman's terms. Just not enough bandwidth.

@RJ QoS, good call! That could help. Nice router btw.

@ BigJake nice find. I was looking for this a while ago for this very purpose.

=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

^^ I dont even own any devices that utilize AC I cant wait till I do

=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

any updates on this? was it ever resolved?

Return to “Computer Geeks”