NAS Network Attached Storage Machine

Need help with computer related stuff? This is their spot!
=(V)=BloodyRabbit
Co-Leader

NAS Network Attached Storage Machine

Post by =(V)=BloodyRabbit »

I have an old PC box I'm trying to get a NAS program on to do backups of our home PC's automatically.

FreeNAS is now TrueNas. They no longer support a 32 bit processor. I tried Open Media Vault (they support 32bit) but I cannot get the damn shared folder to mount. I've been at it for hours and days researching forums and reading documents and watching videos.

What NAS programs do you use and or suggest to use that can be run on an old XP era machine that isn't so damn difficult to setup and is free? I looked into setting up a Rasberry PI but to buy everything needed would cost $300. I'm trying to utilize old machines for cheap. Any suggestions are appreciated!
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:16 am WTF I shot this twat-a-potamus and he didn't die!
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:01 am wtf lag is that!
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:31 am I cant believe i have to waste my time on this
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:44 pm During the Cold War, the U.S. considered airdropping enormous condoms labeled "Medium" on the Soviets
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:36 am A free picture of DEEZ NUTZ
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:12 pm bahaha this is great news
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:33 pm how about we mute the entire server then all you can do is play or rage quit.
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:02 am FML im old and chics don't check me out anymore
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 pm BloodyRabbit is the sexiest man alive!! (Rubs nipples)

Oh RJ, the things you say. This is worth the super long sig :laugh :vmrocks

=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: NAS Network Attached Storage Machine

Post by =(V)=RocketJedi »

I wanted to do the same then just broke down and bought a synology nas on sale. used old drives until wd reds went on sale and bought 2 of those. The unit is small quiet and uses very little electricity. I know you're trying to save money, but I found it was better to spend $$ upfront and reap the savings later.

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
=(V)=BloodyRabbit
Co-Leader

=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:45 pm I wanted to do the same then just broke down and bought a synology nas on sale. used old drives until wd reds went on sale and bought 2 of those. The unit is small quiet and uses very little electricity. I know you're trying to save money, but I found it was better to spend $$ upfront and reap the savings later.
Hmmm

Is it user friendly? I may look at buying a used one. Because I'm thinking I may just break down and purchase a nas like you did. Something can be said for convenience.
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:16 am WTF I shot this twat-a-potamus and he didn't die!
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:31 am I cant believe i have to waste my time on this
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:44 pm During the Cold War, the U.S. considered airdropping enormous condoms labeled "Medium" on the Soviets
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:33 pm how about we mute the entire server then all you can do is play or rage quit.
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:02 am FML im old and chics don't check me out anymore
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 pm BloodyRabbit is the sexiest man alive!! (Rubs nipples)

=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:19 pm
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:45 pm I wanted to do the same then just broke down and bought a synology nas on sale. used old drives until wd reds went on sale and bought 2 of those. The unit is small quiet and uses very little electricity. I know you're trying to save money, but I found it was better to spend $$ upfront and reap the savings later.
Hmmm

Is it user friendly? I may look at buying a used one. Because I'm thinking I may just break down and purchase a nas like you did. Something can be said for convenience.
very user friendly and has a web interface see screenshots below. I have it setup so I can access it anywhere in the world using DDNS via famlyds.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
=(V)=BloodyRabbit
Co-Leader

Very cool. I'm looking 8nto it right now.

=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

my thing im researching now is using a vpn for torrents. I don't want another monthly sub just to download shit once in a while. Sick of these greedy ass companies.

=(V)=BloodyRabbit
Co-Leader

=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:41 am my thing im researching now is using a vpn for torrents. I don't want another monthly sub just to download shit once in a while. Sick of these greedy ass companies.

Educated guess is that you wont find one. And if you do it wont be very fast. - Why not look into a closed community that torrents so you know it's trusted? I use to use this one but I've been inactive for so long my account is deleted. https://iptorrents.com/signup.php - If you donate $20 you'll gain access according to that link.

Another thought.. and it's just a thought.. but I use to download Torrents while at the gym or nn a public wifi network via my phone.

=(V)=~Sean~
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=~Sean~ »

I have used Proton VPN in the past for free and it works really well.

~ Don't Let The Bastards Drag You Down ~
=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

=(V)=~Sean~ wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:40 pm I have used Proton VPN in the past for free and it works really well.
Are you running that from a synology nas?

=(V)=~Sean~
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=~Sean~ »

I am not.

I just used it for a short time, but it is nice to have a proxy once in a while.

~ Don't Let The Bastards Drag You Down ~
=(V)=BloodyRabbit
Co-Leader

What model did you purchase?

I see the WD Red on sale from 250 and is now 150 via Amazon. And I see a basic cheap Synology machine for 189.99 on Amazon it's the DS220j machine - 2 bay 512MB DDR4 (W/o Drives)

Also, do you know off the top of your head if there's an app for your phone so it can also backup automatically to the device? -- Looks like it does but only for photos. I'd like a full backup.. contacts... texts.. etc etc.

3rd thought. I was watching a video of it... it was kind of a cool idea. One guy and a friend of his used each others Synology Machines to backup their data offsite incase of fire or physical disaster. It was secure and they could only gain access to the other persons information if they had the password. It worked even for static OR dynamic IP's.

=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:50 am

I see the WD Red on sale from 250 and is now 150 via Amazon. And I see a basic cheap Synology machine for 189.99 on Amazon it's the DS220j machine - 2 bay 512MB DDR4 (W/o Drives)

Also, do you know off the top of your head if there's an app for your phone so it can also backup automatically to the device? -- Looks like it does but only for photos. I'd like a full backup.. contacts... texts.. etc etc.

3rd thought. I was watching a video of it... it was kind of a cool idea. One guy and a friend of his used each others Synology Machines to backup their data offsite incase of fire or physical disaster. It was secure and they could only gain access to the other persons information if they had the password. It worked even for static OR dynamic IP's.
I have the D218+ I believe ill have to look when at home. came with 2GB ram. Pulled it out and put in a 8GB chip bought 2 8TB wd reds when they were on sale a year or 2 ago. Very easy to upgrade these things.

im using microsoft onedrive on the nas to back up the wifes and my pictures from our google phones so backs up to one drive then one drive syncs with the synology one drive app plugin. havent tried backing up contacts because its already backed up with Verizon i believe.

Thats a cool idea about the backups. still not sure how I feel about that, but smart.

=(V)=BloodyRabbit
Co-Leader

=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:58 am

I have the D218+ I believe ill have to look when at home. came with 2GB ram. Pulled it out and put in a 8GB chip bought 2 8TB wd reds when they were on sale a year or 2 ago. Very easy to upgrade these things.

im using microsoft onedrive on the nas to back up the wifes and my pictures from our google phones so backs up to one drive then one drive syncs with the synology one drive app plugin. havent tried backing up contacts because its already backed up with Verizon i believe.

Thats a cool idea about the backups. still not sure how I feel about that, but smart.

Yes, please let me know.

Is it quick backing up? Have you noticed any odd things? Or is it pretty streamlined? I'm about to purchase one. I tried FreeNAS 32Bit I had on a CD from 10 years ago. I loaded it into a virtualbox. But again, can't get specific information on that version and the digital volumes don't show and can't mount. So I'm pretty much just done messing with it. May just run Linux Machines on my old computers just incase I ever need them I know they'll boot up to something that's safe.

=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:34 pm
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:58 am

Yes, please let me know.

Is it quick backing up? Have you noticed any odd things? Or is it pretty streamlined? I'm about to purchase one. I tried FreeNAS 32Bit I had on a CD from 10 years ago. I loaded it into a virtualbox. But again, can't get specific information on that version and the digital volumes don't show and can't mount. So I'm pretty much just done messing with it. May just run Linux Machines on my old computers just incase I ever need them I know they'll boot up to something that's safe.
I looked closer in the interface its definitely a 218+ that I have.

=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

I forgot to mention that I don't have any weird issue quirks or whatever. The thing just works all day everyday. I'd honestly forget about the device if it didn't let me know that updates are available or a monthly disk report etc. shit is rock solid. The only time I ever had an issue was putting too much ram in the device which caused a kernel panic but after using the maximum supported ram its been running for a couple years with 0 downtime.

Return to “Computer Geeks”