A little inspiration for new map makers

=(V)iper=
Pilot First Class

A little inspiration for new map makers

Post by =(V)iper= »

This is my first map I ever made. This is the first ever version of 2Rings, as you can see it is ugly. The textures clashed, the tunnels were tight, and it was very poorly put together. I even used Zonelighting, which I still used but I never added lights to it to make it more eye popping. It was bland and it wasn't played much in our SP1 days but my clan played it from time to time to make me feel better.

This is my second map ever made. I called it VipeRX, same thing, ugly. Made with lots, and I mean lots, of lights. It was a bit more functional, the textures were still ridiculous. It was played a tiny bit more but again I thought it was to make me feel better.

So what I'm getting at here is to all you new map makers and artists that are trying to develop a name for yourselves is this. Not every map you make is going to become popular and played a shitload of times. The thing you need to keep in your mind is keep going. The time will come where you make something people will enjoy and play so many times people will hate it. When I see 2Rings being played it may annoy you but I couldn't be happier to be perfectly honest. Because it goes to show my work is being put to good use and inspires me to make more and gain more knowledge as I go along. Just keep at it and keep thinking of something original.

As a post note VipeRX went on to be remade as my 15th map CTF-(VIP)XV, so everything you make at one time can always be remade to something spectacular.

If you want to stroke my ego, be sure to spit on it first
DeM

Re: A little inspiration for new map makers

Post by DeM »

the vip maps are the most popular in v servers...
how you say... i dont like much of details,the intersting is the fun map..and you have it in yours...
congratz :D
=(V)=Rurik
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=Rurik »

Awesome maps, awesome mapper!
I love to play in 2Rings.

The thing is: How beautiful a map looks is an extra, if it gives people a lot of fun and good times it is indeed a good map.
At least that's the way I see it.

Keep up the good work Viper!
(I still suffer when I have to alling textures!)
ImageSignature by =(V)=D/\SH!

Jeg har ingenting, men jeg har alt når jeg har deg.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image
NyteBlayDe
Forums Master

Post by NyteBlayDe »

2Rings is one of the best VIP maps ,I like 6Bridges too.
Signature made by =(V)=D/\SH
=(V)=Muffin
Captain

Post by =(V)=Muffin »

This is pretty cool and inspiring, although I am not a new mapper. :-P
=(V)iper=
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)iper= »

You all may see one last version of 2 Rings in the future. I have a basic setup it's mostly the bases being changed maybe a little more to do with the middle but I think with the overplayability that the current version has I don't want to overload the servers with everyone playing the same map back to back. It's bad enough 10 maps recycle over and over. But 2Rings by far has to be my biggest accomplishment and it was such a basic setup so to this day I don't understand why it's as popular as it is but hell I accept it lol. I think =(V)= has it ranked #2 most played according to Gametracker so I thank you all for playing it and supporting it. It helps inspire me to do more work for the future too so big thanks to you guys

=(V)=]v[yster
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=]v[yster »

What I like about 2Rings is its size. There's always action coming from my right or left, Defense and Offense constantly overlap amongst teams, there's little time for break so the action just keeps coming!
=(V)=CandyMan
Forums Master

Post by =(V)=CandyMan »

Viper wrote:You all may see one last version of 2 Rings in the future. I have a basic setup it's mostly the bases being changed maybe a little more to do with the middle but I think with the overplayability that the current version has I don't want to overload the servers with everyone playing the same map back to back. It's bad enough 10 maps recycle over and over. But 2Rings by far has to be my biggest accomplishment and it was such a basic setup so to this day I don't understand why it's as popular as it is but hell I accept it lol. I think =(V)= has it ranked #2 most played according to Gametracker so I thank you all for playing it and supporting it. It helps inspire me to do more work for the future too so big thanks to you guys
I'll tell you why, because maps that you think will do good, don't do good and those that you think won't, do. Weird way of looking at it but it kind of sums up why most maps don't get played and some do.

Maybe it's just me?
Co-Leader of the Vulpine Mission branch(es) in War Thunder and Call of Duty.
My tags are: =VM19=Coty2255 and |VM|TH3 J0K3R

More games and divisions are coming soon...

=(V)=Boyzel
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=Boyzel »

=(V)=]v[yster wrote:What I like about 2Rings is its size. There's always action coming from my right or left, Defense and Offense constantly overlap amongst teams, there's little time for break so the action just keeps coming!
Ok Myster, next time you say some shit :laugh like this I will hit the softball out of the park!! LOL
Cross_Eyed_Noob
V.I.P.

Post by Cross_Eyed_Noob »

Because there are 246876845 useless maps, and by useless, I mean no good playability/gameplay ...

That's why some "overvoted" useless maps should go to make place for the really good ones ... but again, you'll say that they get voted because people like them ... I say the people that votes them don't even know what's a good map and what's not >_>
=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by =(V)=RocketJedi »

Cross_Eyed_Noob wrote:Because there are 246876845 useless maps, and by useless, I mean no good playability/gameplay ...

That's why some "overvoted" useless maps should go to make place for the really good ones ... but again, you'll say that they get voted because people like them ... I say the people that votes them don't even know what's a good map and what's not >_>

we need a list. Its hard to go through every single map. I mean I did a lot of work already and deleted over 200 maps.

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
Nyx
Forums Master

Post by Nyx »

delete every overplayed map and force players to try new maps.
CockSmoker
Forums Master

Post by CockSmoker »

Much like the most simple and basic songs are very popular, the same is true with maps.
There is a good contrast of very complex and simple designs that are favored, so they both can work well.

Too simple or too complex are what might end up being the ones less favored, so the middle of the road type work is usually the common ground.

Also, if you will notice, the most popular maps such as 2 rings, Race fuel, and so on, the spawn point is relative to the location of the RX,
which is a key factor in my opinion.
=(V)iper=
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)iper= »

That's because everyone hates spawn killers. Even spawn killers hate spawn killers

HaHa
Forums Elite

Post by HaHa »

Change the map history .... the number of maps before it can be voted again.

Return to “Mapping Help”