A little inspiration for new map makers

Zachary
Forums Elite

Re: A little inspiration for new map makers

Post by Zachary »

HaHa wrote:Change the map history .... the number of maps before it can be voted again.
^ This.

Just make it unavailable to play again until another 20 maps has been played or something if you guys don't want people to play the same maps.
=(V)=CandyMan
Forums Master

Post by =(V)=CandyMan »

Zachary wrote:
HaHa wrote:Change the map history .... the number of maps before it can be voted again.
^ This.

Just make it unavailable to play again until another 20 maps has been played or something if you guys don't want people to play the same maps.
Co-Leader of the Vulpine Mission branch(es) in War Thunder and Call of Duty.
My tags are: =VM19=Coty2255 and |VM|TH3 J0K3R

More games and divisions are coming soon...

=(V)=_The_Greek_
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=_The_Greek_ »

6-bridges is my favorite map, 2-rings is definitely in my top 10. What makes these maps awesome it's that anyone can use his own gamestyle without a problem. You can be a player who likes to just grab the flag, or hide in nice spot and defend or even spawnkill, there is a place for you on these maps. There are many good maps that we used to play a couple of years ago often, but many players are new so they don't vote for them. For those who are patient enough to stay up late, during the later hours when less people are on the server most of which have been playing RX for years, all the popular maps are usually ignored and some of the good old ones are voted. But let's be honest, few maps can be as fun as 2-rings with a full server.
=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by =(V)=RocketJedi »

Zachary wrote:
^ This.

WE DID DO this but people started complaining , then they went to other servers and we emptied out.

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
=(V)=_The_Greek_
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=_The_Greek_ »

Exactly. The map vote is perfect as it is. It's up to those who vote to stop some maps from repeating. But unfortunately most players, dont like trying new maps. They leave as soon as they dont like something.
=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

yeah its really sad. I try to vote new stuff all the time. I still think we can remove about 50-100 more maps that are just ok not amazing

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
=(V)=]v[yster
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=]v[yster »

Narrows Gold please? Get that sucker outta there!
=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

I really think we need to cut he maps in half. only column 1 and 2 get nay vote action it seems.

=(V)iper=
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)iper= »

Not entirely true, I vote a lot of older maps we use to play like Runaway and a few SP1 maps

If you want to stroke my ego, be sure to spit on it first
=(V)=Kevster
Pilot First Class - Contributor

Post by =(V)=Kevster »

I think the layout of 2Rings is really good. I like the textures and the landscape of the map. I think the way the bases are setup and the long run between bases and what can happen between bases makes it a very popular map. In many cases, you don't need a very technical map to have it be popular. Many times the simple maps are the most fun because they generate the most action.
Bad~Co.
Forums Participant

Post by Bad~Co. »

As far as inspiration goes also, Know that when you start mapping SAVE as you go to a DIFFERENT name. IE MapnameV1, MapnameV2, MapnameV3 etc.
The editor is VERY finicky and will f@#$ you as hard as it can sometimes. (yeah, yeah, i hear the comments, lol )
Just keep at it and TEST as you go also. Play your new version, if something looks wrong, you can just go back to a previous version and start with that.
My editor is so screwed up it won't let me do basic mover builds and does all sorts of wierd crap. So, I think i will install a fresh UT version a different drive in my machine just for mapping. sucks but i'm not giving up. :)
=(V)=Kevster
Pilot First Class - Contributor

Post by =(V)=Kevster »

Bad~Co. wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:39 pm As far as inspiration goes also, Know that when you start mapping SAVE as you go to a DIFFERENT name. IE MapnameV1, MapnameV2, MapnameV3 etc.
The editor is VERY finicky and will f@#$ you as hard as it can sometimes. (yeah, yeah, i hear the comments, lol )
Just keep at it and TEST as you go also. Play your new version, if something looks wrong, you can just go back to a previous version and start with that.
My editor is so screwed up it won't let me do basic mover builds and does all sorts of wierd crap. So, I think i will install a fresh UT version a different drive in my machine just for mapping. sucks but i'm not giving up. :)
BadCo is right. Saving your map to different versions along the way, is vital in the map creation process. Like he says, if you fuck up, you can go back to the version before you fucked up. If not? You've wasted all that time for nothing. By the time I'm finished creating a map, I could have 50 versions of the same map, so that I can go back in time, if something happens and work from where things went wrong. :thumbup
=(V)iper=
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)iper= »

=(V)=Kevster wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:05 pm
Bad~Co. wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:39 pm As far as inspiration goes also, Know that when you start mapping SAVE as you go to a DIFFERENT name. IE MapnameV1, MapnameV2, MapnameV3 etc.
BadCo is right. Saving your map to different versions along the way, is vital in the map creation process. Like he says, if you fuck up, you can go back to the version before you fucked up. If not? You've wasted all that time for nothing. By the time I'm finished creating a map, I could have 50 versions of the same map, so that I can go back in time, if something happens and work from where things went wrong. :thumbup
Back when I was mapping I usually called my maps CTF-Testing, Test, Testicles, something like that. I only put a name to the map once it was completely finished. If you're experimenting with new ideas and treading into parts you've never actually done before, I highly suggest making a 1024x1024x1024 block and trying it out there. That way you can adjust how you want, not add unnecessary things to your map, and get a feel for how you want it to turn out.

If you want to stroke my ego, be sure to spit on it first
Bad~Co.
Forums Participant

Post by Bad~Co. »

Just for further help to you guys mapping.... I just ran across an issue in mapping that, if you're not conscious of what you're doing, can screw you up to.
This pertains to making your own .umx files. I made my own, built the map and saved it. Didn't like the way it came out so I changed one of the songs and named it the same, DELETING the old file and placing the new one in. Well, I went to open my map in the editor and NOTHING was there! Even though the music file was named the same, UT knew it was different and bombed the map.
Luckily, I did not empty my recycle bin and threw that file back in, THEN changed the map song.
Little things can mess you up, that's why saving is imperative.
Anyone needing help making their own umx files, I'm here. Or , i would even do it for you.
Just need 2 free programs and instructions on UT music making properties.
I have my music volume off so I can here footsteps and listen to where the rx's are goin :), but I know some of you like the tunes so I add them anyway.
Have fun!
=(V)=~Sean~
Pilot First Class

Post by =(V)=~Sean~ »

Good advice. Thank you.

~ Don't Let The Bastards Drag You Down ~

Return to “Mapping Help”