Update MH503 to MH504 from Nelsona

=(V)= Server 2: MH2 NW3
=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Update MH503 to MH504 from Nelsona

Post by =(V)=RocketJedi »

whats the difference between this and mh2gold?

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
medor
Forums Elite

Post by medor »

mh504 substitute mh503 MH2 is a mod and stay
MH504.zip

OK, on to the documentation...

Rationalization
Due to the master server problems the monsterhunt tab no longer works correctly. Nelsona created a fantastic workaround (http://www.forum.unrealtournament.info/ ... f=32&t=306) to fix it but it also gives the added benefit of also listing different versions of monsterhunt. Because of this the native problems the mod has can be addressed without having to hack a bunch of solutions together. The monsterhunt core can be recoded without worrying that servers using it won't show up in the browser. Since it's an even playing field and all MH versions can list now there's no real restrictions on what is done.

Version MisMatch
One of the biggest taboos in UScript is version mismatch (VM). I understand your hesitation in accepting that VM for this will not cause client problems so I will just ask you to try for yourself. Join the demo server and play. It's running MH, it shows in the browser, default maps work just fine (better even, more on that later), yet it's running a completely overhauled version of monsterhunt.

OK, I'll bite. How does it work?
It's simple actually. Players just need to delete their monsterhunt.u file if they have it installed. The server will then place the new one into the client's cache and they can join and play. There's no need to install it any longer unless you are a developer/mapper.

Does it break old maps?
The short answer is no. All the 503 class names are still there so maps can function, it's just that the classes were rewritten to fix things. Old maps will open and play with this updated version, however mods compiled against the 503 version of MH may not function properly depending on what they do. This mostly centers around the assigning of teams as this 504 version removes the limits of 'Red players vs. Blue monsters' and allows multiple teams. That being said it's a possibility that there may be a few mods embedded into maps that malfunction because of the changes. If any are found they will be addressed and fixed. So far we haven't encountered one but it's still something that could happen.

For Developers
Source code will be in the download. Use that to compile your mods. The biggest change to be aware of is the management of teams. Players can now be on multiple teams by joining as different team colors. Most of the MH companion mods will need to be recoded to deal with this but it allows much finer control of player damages. Now you can have competing teams vying to win the map if you want, allowing players to only damage opposing team players.
Default Unreal weapons/items/pickups are overhauled and fixed. Check the replacement classes if you want to use them in your rewards mods. Quadshot, razorjack, dispersion powerups...they all work.
Monsters are deadly and much smarter. Bots are both intelligent and helpful. It won't take long for you to realize how much better. For the best results maps need to be pathed but the bots will still take orders and follow you regardless. Oh and teamcannons :)
If you have questions just look at the source code and it should be fairly evident. If not you are encouraged to post up here and ask.

Ini changes
You'll see some new entries in the ini. I'll briefly explain them here but also in the download it will have a commented ini to follow when you set up your server.

[MonsterHunt.MonsterHunt]
TT=MoHu

This is the team tag for the monsters. It helps group them into a proper side.

bDumbDown=True

Monster AI adjustments

[MonsterHunt.MonsterBase]
bVerboser=True

This displays information as play begins about the map and potential problems that may exist with it. Very handy when trying new maps to see if they will work properly with bots.

bDoOldReplacing=True

replaces the broken Unreal weapons/items with fixed ones

bTuneMovers=True

Enables various mover fixes. Server log lines will explain the fixes and what movers were adjusted.

bNoGrabCheat=True

Prevents the 'Grab' mover cheat that can occur with some movers

bCrushPawnBlocker=True

if a mover is set to crush then it ensures that actor is KRUSHED!

bNoGodMonster=True

Removes all "reduceddamage" on monsters

bNoAILeader=True

Sets bTeamLeader to false if set to true on any of the monsters

bNoGodMerc=True

No more Mercs stuck invulnerable in damage zones

bCheckFactoryAttack=True

Stops monsters from being able to touch and trigger factories

nHumanBodyTime=4.000000

Player carcass lifetime

nHumanChunkTime=2.500000

Player chunk lifetime

nMonsterBodyTime=5.000000

Monster carcass lifetime

nMonsterChunkTime=4.000000

Monster chunk lifetime

md=0.150000

Forces a mover delay time so movers don't take so long cycling

MinMonsterHealth=50

Global minimum health for monsters

MaxMonsterHealth=1000000

Global maximum health for monsters

MonsterMultiplier=0.000000

Adjusts health to monsters across the board using this multiplier. Example: 1.5 would mean monsters have 150% of their normal health.
=(V)=Mar
Colonel

Post by =(V)=Mar »

=(V)=RocketJedi wrote:whats the difference between this and mh2gold?
MH2Gold uses mh503, but dunno if you can just change it like that. Please try and see if it runs if not I may need to update the MH2Gold version of ours so it uses the new one. MH504 looks very promising.
medor
Forums Elite

Post by medor »

MH2Gold work with all mh5... series
=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

i like what the new version does.. not happy about having to replace monsterhunt.u

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
medor
Forums Elite

Post by medor »

yes some mismatch coming soon but nice update and limited crash servers
=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

if everyone doesn't update there will be issues. can anyone confirm any of the big MH servers upgraded?

gopostal
Validated

Post by gopostal »

=(V)=RocketJedi wrote:if everyone doesn't update there will be issues. can anyone confirm any of the big MH servers upgraded?
They probably won't because of the version mismatch issue. It's a shame too because this is no different than packages like Spinner.u already needing to be in the cache versus the installation because there is more than one version used in maps.

Monsterhunt has (had) some really serious issues and they just can't be dealt with any other way than to just tear the thing apart and rebuild it right. This fixed version started at the beginning and subclassed 'Domination' gametype instead of team deathmatch and the improvements just kept coming. My only real way of showing you this is for you to hop onto the demo server and play a bit. Watch the bots with a critical eye and you'll see them using strategy: fighting then retreating if they have low ammo and the monster is strong, helping each other if they need it, knowing the paths have changed when a switch gets thrown and opens another section in the map, backtracking to continue on. Things like that. The things you won't notice are because they just 'work' now and that's the way you would presume. Things like the Unreal weapons: the dispersion pistol can be upgraded, the quadshot works just fine, all the items are fixed. Oh, and the entire range of skaarj problems are gone. No more buggy dropped weapons from them, no more seeing them in F5, no unkillable skaarj (or mercs for that matter too).

The downside? MH2 probably won't work with it. I haven't gotten far enough in testing to say yes or no for sure but I can see a bunch of potential problems with the way I coded MH2 to look for teams. This MH update allows for many teams, not just "all players are Red team". There can be multiple player teams and in fact if you join as Team Yellow (for instance) you are actually on a different team than someone who joined as Team Green. Although that allows for a lot more possibilities game-wise the existing mods used for MH might not work right if they depend on using the team assignments.

Nels and I are currently beginning work on an MH2 type addition for this released MH. When done it will be an all-encompassing controller that includes everything I can think of for server management and player toys. Although we like to play a more purist version of the game we totally recognize that servers want to go a much crazier route and use NW3 with oversurrectors.

Anyway I'm around in my forum or on my TS if you have any questions.
=(V)=CandyMan
Forums Master

Post by =(V)=CandyMan »

gopostal wrote:
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote:if everyone doesn't update there will be issues. can anyone confirm any of the big MH servers upgraded?
They probably won't because of the version mismatch issue. It's a shame too because this is no different than packages like Spinner.u already needing to be in the cache versus the installation because there is more than one version used in maps.

Monsterhunt has (had) some really serious issues and they just can't be dealt with any other way than to just tear the thing apart and rebuild it right. This fixed version started at the beginning and subclassed 'Domination' gametype instead of team deathmatch and the improvements just kept coming. My only real way of showing you this is for you to hop onto the demo server and play a bit. Watch the bots with a critical eye and you'll see them using strategy: fighting then retreating if they have low ammo and the monster is strong, helping each other if they need it, knowing the paths have changed when a switch gets thrown and opens another section in the map, backtracking to continue on. Things like that. The things you won't notice are because they just 'work' now and that's the way you would presume. Things like the Unreal weapons: the dispersion pistol can be upgraded, the quadshot works just fine, all the items are fixed. Oh, and the entire range of skaarj problems are gone. No more buggy dropped weapons from them, no more seeing them in F5, no unkillable skaarj (or mercs for that matter too).

The downside? MH2 probably won't work with it. I haven't gotten far enough in testing to say yes or no for sure but I can see a bunch of potential problems with the way I coded MH2 to look for teams. This MH update allows for many teams, not just "all players are Red team". There can be multiple player teams and in fact if you join as Team Yellow (for instance) you are actually on a different team than someone who joined as Team Green. Although that allows for a lot more possibilities game-wise the existing mods used for MH might not work right if they depend on using the team assignments.

Nels and I are currently beginning work on an MH2 type addition for this released MH. When done it will be an all-encompassing controller that includes everything I can think of for server management and player toys. Although we like to play a more purist version of the game we totally recognize that servers want to go a much crazier route and use NW3 with oversurrectors.

Anyway I'm around in my forum or on my TS if you have any questions.
Here's a face I haven't seen in awhile, welcome back! :)
Co-Leader of the Vulpine Mission branch(es) in War Thunder and Call of Duty.
My tags are: =VM19=Coty2255 and |VM|TH3 J0K3R

More games and divisions are coming soon...

medor
Forums Elite

Post by medor »

Mismatch is only for user cache cleaner.
User UT cache cleaner will not be surprised and will know how to.
You can send messages in hud server for advertise.
gopostal
Validated

Post by gopostal »

=(V)=CandyMan wrote:
Good to see you guys too. looks like the server/clan is doing well. Nice.

medor is right too. People should pretty much not be cache cleaning any more unless they understand what they are doing ahead of time. Do I think this is 'for' you guys yet? Not really. It's ready now for a vanilla MH server with 5-7 bots and playing the more basic MH maps but you'll need to ensure there are ammo pickups, etc in the map since this has no "MH2" functionality. That's coming though, just give us a little time.
=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

as soon as its ready for prime time ill throw it on.. we don't really get much MH traffic so im not worried about mismatches as of yet.

thanks for the in-depth info much appreciated.

=(V)=Mar
Colonel

Post by =(V)=Mar »

gopostal wrote:
=(V)=CandyMan wrote:
Good to see you guys too. looks like the server/clan is doing well. Nice.

medor is right too. People should pretty much not be cache cleaning any more unless they understand what they are doing ahead of time. Do I think this is 'for' you guys yet? Not really. It's ready now for a vanilla MH server with 5-7 bots and playing the more basic MH maps but you'll need to ensure there are ammo pickups, etc in the map since this has no "MH2" functionality. That's coming though, just give us a little time.
Hey Gopostal! Glad to see you! :peace
I tried the test server and I must say it is awesome the job you and Nelsona are doing, bots and Monsters are much smarter in this new version. And server is so smooth even with my 250+ ping.
The only error (not much since you can disable it,i think?) is that with the new movers/lift crushers when you are in a elevator and there is gasbag on top and it just touch you you get killed too, dont remember the map name.

And as you said there are many packages already that have mismatches and are useless, why not this one that is a core patch of monsterhunt? All servers should update in order to make all clients use the same version.
medor
Forums Elite

Post by medor »

Beware the MH504 has been updated; please re download the archive and replace the files ....
The size is the same but changes have been made

- small fixes for Dispersion;
- a bit added in Bot Attitude;
- fixing patrol detection.

Return to “Server 2 - =(V)= MONSTERHUNT2 NaliWeapons3+RX8 *FINAL*”