Pi Hole

Need help with computer related stuff? This is their spot!
=(V)=Prince Vegeta
Pilot First Class - Contributor

Pi Hole

Post by =(V)=Prince Vegeta »

Just set one up yesterday. So far it's awesome.

Pi-hole is a Linux network-level advertisement and Internet tracker blocking application which acts as a DNS sinkhole, intended for use on a private network.

https://pi-hole.net
=(V)=BloodyRabbit
Co-Leader

Re: Pi Hole

Post by =(V)=BloodyRabbit »

Hmm interesting. I just read about it and watched a tutorial. I have a raspberry pi sitting downstairs in a box unused.

I get the same adblocking done with adblockers installed on my internet browsers and use a VPN. I just need to install a firewall.

I use a firewall on my phone to block some apps. I want to setup an adblock service or VPN on my phone too. Just havent done it yet.

As for th Pi hole.. am I missing something I'm currently not getting? I dont think I am. Jist a different way of going about it. If I'm missing something I may grab my pi from downstairs and set it up.

Update:
Just installed a firewall on my desktop =D
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:16 am WTF I shot this twat-a-potamus and he didn't die!
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:01 am wtf lag is that!
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:31 am I cant believe i have to waste my time on this
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:44 pm During the Cold War, the U.S. considered airdropping enormous condoms labeled "Medium" on the Soviets
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:36 am A free picture of DEEZ NUTZ
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:12 pm bahaha this is great news
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:33 pm how about we mute the entire server then all you can do is play or rage quit.
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:02 am FML im old and chics don't check me out anymore
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 pm BloodyRabbit is the sexiest man alive!! (Rubs nipples)

Oh RJ, the things you say. This is worth the super long sig :laugh :vmrocks

=(V)=Prince Vegeta

pi-hole to block at the DNS level to stop traffic from 'bad sites' from making it to/from my network. Firewall and ad-blockers on the computers for anything that doesnt get caught at the higher level. It also makes it that anybody connecting to my network will typically have at least the DNS malcious site blocking by default.
=(V)=Prince Vegeta

I think it is also transparent to sites that demand you turn off the adblocker to view them.
=(V)=BloodyRabbit
Co-Leader

I like the malicious aspect to protect your network. I guess you can consider it a DNS firewall. Stopping all 'bad' DNS traffic. Not fool proof but a novel concept. Please keep me up to date. I may copy you!
Thanks for sharing.

I also like the potential to not allowing sites to know. Because while surfing sometimes I have to deactivate to view a webpage. Which I do not like.

I use duckduckgo among other security tools like the signal app and other sites. I still need to setup my proton email. I was signed up for the beta years ago but never signed up I dont think?

What i hate is people do not have a right to their data. I mean we can opt out of everything but we couldn't use the internet. And while we can limit our online digital foot print we cant eliminate it all depending on what we have to do online. Such as divulging our personal networks as an example.

I digress. Give it a few weeks or months and give us an update on what you discover, like, and dislike.

Question, does the DNS log your requests or do they delete them immediately?
Is it secure DNS? If the DNS is over port 53 it's plain text. I like the idea of secure DNS or VPN so all DNS is secure and private. So if it's no on those fronts I personally think upgrading their service to that would really up the antie.
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:16 am WTF I shot this twat-a-potamus and he didn't die!
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:31 am I cant believe i have to waste my time on this
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:44 pm During the Cold War, the U.S. considered airdropping enormous condoms labeled "Medium" on the Soviets
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:33 pm how about we mute the entire server then all you can do is play or rage quit.
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:02 am FML im old and chics don't check me out anymore
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 pm BloodyRabbit is the sexiest man alive!! (Rubs nipples)

=(V)=Prince Vegeta

Configuring DNS-Over-HTTPS on Pi-hole

Why use DNS-Over-HTTPS?¶

DNS-Over-HTTPS is a protocol for performing DNS lookups via the same protocol you use to browse the web securely: HTTPS.

With standard DNS, requests are sent in plain-text, with no method to detect tampering or misbehaviour. This means that not only can a malicous actor look at all the DNS requests you are making (and therefore what websites you are visiting), they can also tamper with the response and redirect your device to resources in their control (such as a fake login page for internet banking).

DNS-Over-HTTPS prevents this by using standard HTTPS requests to retrieve DNS information. This means that the connection from the device to the DNS server is secure and can not easily be snooped, monitored, tampered with or blocked. It is worth noting however, that the upstream DNS-Over-HTTPS provider will still have this ability.

https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/dns-over-https/
=(V)=Prince Vegeta

Also, you can set the DNS request to log, not log, clear logs, etc.

heck, go here: https://discourse.pi-hole.net/

it can probably answer all of your questions better than I can.
=(V)=BloodyRabbit
Co-Leader

Excellent!!!

=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by =(V)=RocketJedi »

=(V)=Prince Vegeta wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:30 pm Configuring DNS-Over-HTTPS on Pi-hole

Why use DNS-Over-HTTPS?¶

DNS-Over-HTTPS is a protocol for performing DNS lookups via the same protocol you use to browse the web securely: HTTPS.

With standard DNS, requests are sent in plain-text, with no method to detect tampering or misbehaviour. This means that not only can a malicous actor look at all the DNS requests you are making (and therefore what websites you are visiting), they can also tamper with the response and redirect your device to resources in their control (such as a fake login page for internet banking).

DNS-Over-HTTPS prevents this by using standard HTTPS requests to retrieve DNS information. This means that the connection from the device to the DNS server is secure and can not easily be snooped, monitored, tampered with or blocked. It is worth noting however, that the upstream DNS-Over-HTTPS provider will still have this ability.

im pretty sure chrome and firefox are doing this or are going to do this.

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
=(V)=Prince Vegeta

=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:52 pm
=(V)=Prince Vegeta wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:30 pm Configuring DNS-Over-HTTPS on Pi-hole

Why use DNS-Over-HTTPS?¶

Yup:
Here's how to enable DoH in each browser, ISPs be damned
https://www.zdnet.com/article/dns-over- ... pposition/
=(V)=BloodyRabbit
Co-Leader

@@=(V)=Prince Vegeta
I'm curious, what do you do for a living?

Ps thanks for sharing secure DNS info

=(V)=Prince Vegeta

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:57 pm @@=(V)=Prince Vegeta
I'm curious, what do you do for a living?

Ps thanks for sharing secure DNS info
No prob.

Right now? Short answer would be real estate investments, and concrete manufacturing (pops' company).
=(V)=RocketJedi
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by =(V)=RocketJedi »

=(V)=Prince Vegeta wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:26 pm
=(V)=RocketJedi wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:52 pm

Why use DNS-Over-HTTPS?¶

Yup:
Here's how to enable DoH in each browser, ISPs be damned
https://www.zdnet.com/article/dns-over- ... pposition/

I enabled this been meaning to do this for a while so thanks for the info.

=(V)=BloodyRabbit wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm That was EPIC! I just creamed all over my panties!!!
=(V)=Prince Vegeta

no prob bob.
=(V)=Prince Vegeta

Just added OpenVPN to the Pi and my phones and computers used away from home. Ad/malicious site blocking from wherever I am, not to mention the VPN tunnel to my home network for more security on public networks and/or corporate corporate firewall evasion.
Region capture 25.png
Region capture 24.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Computer Geeks”